We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips from Whitehorse

Which Whitehorse hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
day trips from Whitehorse

On HAL cruisetour and have a free day in Whitehorse 8th June 12

We head north to Dawson after Whitehorse and miss a trip along the Alcan Highway so would lie to include a bit of this with a visit to Kluane, plus a walk/hike to Kings Throne HAL offers something of this type but are very expensive.

Any one any recommendations of companies based in Whitehorse who offer this sort of thing.

Thanks

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,038 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips from Whitehorse

You could rent a car and duplicate that trip on your own and with the flexibility to stop when and where you want.....the highway is very easy to navigate.......just head west to Haines Junction, pick up trail maps at the Visitors Centre drive down to Kathleen Lake and park at the trailhead to King's Throne........it is probably about about 1 1/2 hour drive from Whitehorse to Haines Junction........

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips from Whitehorse

If you decide to rent a car and get to Haines Junction I highly recommend driving all the way to Haines, AK on the beautiful and scenic Haines Highway or at least to Haines Pass. In June be prepared for mosquitoes. You can also continue on Alaska Highway from Haines Junction to breathtaking Kluane Lake, stop at the visitor Center and then maybe take an easy walk along Soldiers Summit Trail with not only fantastic views but signs and audio at the top introducing to fascinating history of building of the Alaska Highway.

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips from Whitehorse

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

We wil certainly give them some thought.

Has any one information about Dezadeash river day floats, this is another option, but cant find much info on it.

Thanks

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,038 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips from Whitehorse

That tour would probably be just as expensive, as it would require the same lengthy bus ride to get to the Dezadeash River......you would probably be rafting the river near Haines Junction......

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips from Whitehorse

I've heard people who have been on the Dezadeash tour loved it, but have also heard it's difficult to get in touch with the owners. Not sure if that is still the case so I'd check for sure!

I'd head out on my own if I were you, check in with the visitor centre about bear activity and they'll give you all the details you need. One day is not long enough to go much further than HJ if you want to spend time hiking as well, it's almost a 2hr drive one way! But SO worth it!! (I live halfway between Whse-HJ and spend a lot of time in HJ because of it's beauty!)

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips from Whitehorse

Many thanks for the answers and suggestions.

So helpul.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,038 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips from Whitehorse

Welcome to the forum Yukonadventuremag !........We can really use your assistance in this under represented location.....there is just so much fabulous wide open scenery in the Yukon and so few people getting the chance to really get out and enjoy it !......If you are one of those 'Konners who visit here in Haines, come on over to the Alaska forum and share some of your experiences there, too........

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: day trips from Whitehorse

Thanks mombear! I've been reading your posts and you seem to have a lot of the Yukon covered, you must visit a lot! :)

I am more than happy to join in! As you can see, I also have a website dedicated to Yukon Adventure (it's new) and I hope to help out visitors there as well. It's for ALL kinds of adventures, from driving the hwy to climbing mountains! (I make no $$ on it, so this isn't advertising, lol!)

I LOVE Haines (and AK in general), will definitely pop over to the AK forum, thanks for the tip! :)

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trips from Whitehorse

Hi Yukonadventuremag...great website,

Really good read.

Thanks for all the info. for us newcomers.

10. Re: day trips from Whitehorse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 11:17