We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget ways to see the Northern Lights

Which Whitehorse hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Budget ways to see the Northern Lights

I'm a student and i hope to backpack to Yukon to watch the Northern Lights. Any ideas on cheaper ways apart from the tours ? I have browse through a few tour operators and they are really expensive, whatmore its not guaranteed that you will see the lights. If i stay in a backpackers, I can stay a few days but what will be the ways to see the lights ? Hope not to drive. May plan some activities like dog sledding as well

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget ways to see the Northern Lights

Felina, when are you planning to travel?

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
793 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget ways to see the Northern Lights

From the 2 backpacker hostels in Whitehorse, you can walk to a moderately dark spot downtown but you'll have the big orange cloud or the glow of city lights. I would find 3 or 5 friends to rent a cabin out of town and a car to get there.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget ways to see the Northern Lights

Felina, I have never been up north to see the northern lights, but the best display so far that I have ever seen of them was somewhere near Saskatoon, driving through Saskatchewan in the middle of the night in early October.

4. Re: Budget ways to see the Northern Lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2013, 05:45