We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phones in Canada

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phones in Canada

We are going to the Yukon in Canada next week. Can anyone tell me if we can buy a sim or phone card in Whitehorse, basically for emergency use.Many thanks.

Jay

yukon
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phones in Canada

Try the bell store or Telusor maybe even the Source (near Walmart) and keep in mind that gsm service is not available in all communities but a lot of them. The store can provide you with better info.

Also cell coverage is mainly in communities so keep in mind that there are lots of highway miles where there will be no coverage, people here are very helpful so if you broke down for example and had no coverage chances are you'd be able to flag someone down no problem.

cheers,

krg

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phones in Canada

Thank you your reply was so helpful. Having recently broken down in my newish car was a little concerned about breaking down in our hired R/V and being stranded miles from any where. Cheers

Jay

Auckland
Level Contributor
477 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phones in Canada

Hi, I am exactly like you and worried about being out of contact for our RV trip in August. I bought a Bell Sim card in Vancouver last week as they seem to be the only ones with a network up there, I have been given one with a Whitehorse number to avoid paying additional long distance charges. It was horrendously expensive, the card and connection was $25 and then another $35 for 1g of data with $10 of calls. Anyway I have it now but not sure just how much coverage we will have - not much by the sounds of it, I am reassured by the comment that people will help out :-)

4. Re: Mobile phones in Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 05:17