We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coming to halifax in mid june

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
coming to halifax in mid june

hi coming to visit and never been there, can i see the bay of fundy tides from the nova scotia side? where is the best place to see it without getting stuck in a tourist trap? also peggys cove is a day trip?

any whale watching areas? can i buy one of those yellow rain hats?

im looking forward to the east coast have never been

thanks Kevin

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coming to halifax in mid june

You certainly can see the Bay of Fundy from the Nova Scotia side. Around the least touristy area to experience it, a place without any tour buses and about the most ruggedly beautiful place you will ever see is in the Cape Chignecto/Cape d'Or area. Well off the well travelled tourist routes in one of the wildest parts of the province, its a 3 hour drive from Halifax. Its special as you can see the power of the tidal rips at Cape d'Or, the fishing village at Advocate Harbour where the boats are at the top of the wharf at high tide and on the ocean floor at low and impressive coastal scenery with numerouus stone spires like the Three Sister rock formations (like at the very touristy Hopewell Rocks in New Brunswick) at cape Chignecto. Situated where the highest cliffs on mainland Nova Scotia meet the largest tides on this planet, this area is very unique as these special phenomenon are all grouped in one small geological area so you don't spend a lot of time trying to experience what is so special about the highest tides on earth. Great place to get some lobsters from the fishermen and cook them up on the Driftwood Beach - or to head to the Wild Caraway for one of the best meals you will experience in the Maritimes. For more info on the Bay of Fundy check www.fundyfun.com

You ask about Peggys, which unfortunately is a very high volume tourist attraction unless you get there before or after all the tour buses in the summer - you certainly can get that yellow rain hat there though. The coastal barrens of the Peggys Cove area is special but being so close to the major city in the maritimes tour companies and cruise lines can rob the place of the ambiance that makes a tiny fishing village of less than 60 special - when it is visited by almost 600,000 every year. Visit Peggys on a winters day when there isn't a tourist to be seen and often only the local fishermen working their gear and you can see what attracted the artists many years ago. But as a tourist - just beat the buses or come after them to avoid the tourist trap experience. Best whale watching is down on the southern part of the Bay of Fundy, down the Digby Neck. Beautiful lighthouse there at Brier Island - what Peggys would have been like 60 years ago.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,752 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coming to halifax in mid june

Hi. You have picked a nice time of year to visit.

Will you have a car? How long will you be staying?

The best place to see the Bay of Fundy tides (in my opinion) is in Parrsboro and Advocate Harbour. If you do a search below in the Nova Scotia forum for Advocate Harbour and tides, you will find many previous posts. This area is a bit out of the way so is not too touristy at all.

Peggy's Cove is an easy drive of less than an hour from Halifax. Try to go very early in the morning or late in the afternoon when the tour busses and cruise ship passengers are gone. You can probably buy a yellow sowester at the shop there. I have seen them in Halifax too, but cannot remember where.

For whale watching the best place is in the Digby and Brier Island area. That is quite a long way from Halifax.

Again if you do a search below, you will find many previous posts.

You can also get a lot of information here:

www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Once you have checked out some of these things, come back to ask more questions.

Edited: 20 May 2012, 22:18
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,752 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coming to halifax in mid june

I see Kayakdover replied while I was composing!

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coming to halifax in mid june

Are you flying in? If so you can definitely get one of those yellow sou wester hats at the airport. I've bought them there for prairie friends. You can also see them for sale at some of the typical tourist stores around the province, they probably have them at the Peggy's cove souvenir store and at some of the souvenir stores along the Halifax waterfront.

Another popular spot to view the tides is Halls Harbour. Great place to eat lobster too. Pretty fishing village that is near the Annapolis Valley near Wolfville.

Peggy's Cove is beautiful but I agree with others try to go early or later in the day to beat the crowds.

5. Re: coming to halifax in mid june

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 14:45
Get answers to your questions about Halifax Region