We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local expert advice

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Topic
local expert advice

Planning on 3 nights June 1st - 3rd. I'd like some suggestions on sights & scenic drives. We don't mind driving 4-5 hours at a time. Also could you suggest some of the nicer dining options for lunch/dinner in the area? Thanks in advance.

Tahoe Vista, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local expert advice

While I'm not the "Official" local expert, I am a local so I can try and help out the best I can!

I would suggest a drive around the west shore, to go see Vikingsholm and Emerald Bay. You can also take a lake cruise, which is excellent. I don't know a lot yet about South Shore but I know they do have a day cruise that goes around the lake. On the North Shore it's called the Tahoe Gal (which I have gone on before).

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: local expert advice

Fallen Leaf Lake:

Take Highway 89 north approximately 3 miles from South Lake Tahoe to Fallen Leaf Road.

Tallac Historic Site is on a flat area near Camp Richardson. It’s a really great historic stroll where you see lots of period dwellings. Quite Old Tahoe. The trail begins from the Kiva Picnic Area.

Also really cool in the Camp Richardson area:

fs.fed.us/r5/…streampc.shtml

You can also take the Heavenly Gondola up to see great views and to hike around.

Drive north on 89 and visit Emerald Bay - Vikingsholm Trail starts at the parking area on the north side of Emerald Bay. At the bottom of the trail is a picnic area, as well as world-famous Vikingsholm, a replica of a Scandinavian castle.

Further north on 89 you'll come to DL Bliss which has a great lake side trial that will take you to Emerald Bay. It’s really stunning scenery but you don't have to hike the full trial you can just go as far as you like.

Further north on 89 you will come to Sugar Pine Point – Visit Ehrman Mansion. Great history, beautiful grounds.

Continuing north is Chamberlands. Great historic place. Has a really famous bar on the pier. Wait till happy hour and get a Chambers Punch.

Heading north from Chamberlands you will come to Homewood and then Sunnyside (great lake views from the Resort - have lunch or dinner or drinks and appitizers or brunch) and then Tahoe City. Tahoe city is the bigger of the area towns on the west/north side. When you get to Tahoe City you can continue around the lake or head north on 89 to Squaw Valley where you can take the tram to High Camp where there is a nice pool, giant Jacuzzi, outdoor bar, a grill, ice skating and lots of hiking. You can walk around the new village there and have a super fabulous dinner at PlumpJacks.

Check out Thunderbird Lodgeon the east side of the lake past Incline:

http://www.thunderbirdlodge.org/tours.html

Places ot eat lunch or dinner in Incline would be Lone Eagle Grill at the Hyatt. Beautiful lakeside location.

Also Garwoods in Carnelian Bay is great lakeside dining. Luch or dinner or just snacks and drinks.

South Lake Tahoe favorite of mine is Evans. Get reservations

Riva Grill is great on the lake and is sister restaurant to Garwoods.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
4,984 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local expert advice

Hi Juliedmc!

Like you, I live here full time. I was VERY surprised when TripAdvisor asked me to be a local expert. Suzie-travels has so much more relevant tourist information. We can give input on traffic, current weather, and updates on construction in ski areas. I don't have the best info on hotels, but I certainly know eating, drinking, and being merry.

Welcome, it's nice to see a local post.

Sharon

4. Re: local expert advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 01:18