We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

retail shops/restaurants Kings Beach

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
retail shops/restaurants Kings Beach

I've never been to Kings Beach, taking a trip up there this weekend. What kinds of retail shops and restaurants if any are located there? We're primarily interested in antiques, thrift, gift shops...breakfast, hot dogs, steaks and hoagies :)

Thanks.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,160 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: retail shops/restaurants Kings Beach

Kings Beach does have a few shops and restaurants. Blue Onion is great any time of day. The Log Cabin has wonderful breakfasts. If you want steak, you might want to go to Tahoe Vista and eat at the Old Range Steak House. Jason's and Steamer's are both good choices for casual food.

Kings Beach doesn't have too much in the way of shopping. There are some gift shops and the Tahoe Forest Hospice thrift shop.

Antique shopping is great in Auburn, if you want to stop on the way. Truckee has a charming downtown area with some really nice stores and restaurants.Tahoe City also has very good shopping and dining options.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: retail shops/restaurants Kings Beach

You mention good shopping in Tahoe City, any places in particular?

What does that town look like? Seriously, I have no clue what Tahoe whether it's north, south, west or Nevada is like, so I'm relying on you to give me an idea of what to expect. We'll be staying in Kings Beach, hubby wants to fish (this trip is a B-day gift) we'd like to see some different stuff there but can't figure out what to do exactly with our time. We don't ski, bike, or hike.

Level Contributor
36,192 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: retail shops/restaurants Kings Beach

The Tahoe Boatworks Mall is really cool with lots of nice shops. They have a website, where you can see which stores are there and hours that they are open.

We like the Sunnyside Lodge for lunch in this area. A nice restaurant with gorgeous views of the lake. Have fun on your trip! :)

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: retail shops/restaurants Kings Beach

Thanks Syrahgirl...

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,160 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: retail shops/restaurants Kings Beach

Tahoe City is close to Kings Beach. As you come into Kings Beach, you will see the Safeway store on the right. It's where 267 deadends at the lake. Turn right onto N.Lake Blvd. instead of left. You will end up in Tahoe City. Gar Woods is a lovely lakefront restaurant that you will pass on the way. Cobblestone Mall also has some nice shops.

Truckee is just off 80. You will go through it to get to Kings Beach. Commercial Row has quite a few nice stores and restaurants.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: retail shops/restaurants Kings Beach

I think what strikes me most about the towns around the lake is that they are just little mountain towns. Most of the communities are made of small year round populations. The tourist seasons are specifically winter and summer. The remainder of the year, store traffic is substantially lower. This cuts down on overall shopping and the continuity of shops over the years. Only the most robust of shops can make a go of it for the most part. Any long time resident or visitor will have seen many businesses come and go. Most shops can be seen from the main road as that’s pretty much all there is to any of the towns other than the homes that are either lakefront or mountainside.

Kings Beach is not my favorite community at the lake (actually it’s my least favorite) but the up side is that it’s close to Incline Village (which is pretty upscale), Sand Harbor, Crystal Bay – Home to Cal Neva and the Fire Lookout. The Fire Lookout provides a wonderful view of the lake and is pretty easy to get to.

Turn north onto Reservoir Drive at the Tahoe Biltmore Lodge. A quarter-mile later (at the fire station and water tower), turn right onto Lakeview and continue about a mile (stay left at each fork) to the gate/trailhead for the overlook. When you see a narrow fork do take that. It will bend back around and take you to the gate. If you avoid turning onto Tuscarora you should be able to find the Forest Service road ok.

To feel more comfortable you can look at a Google satellite map for crystal bay where you can see the road and the lookout. Or you can do an aerial map on mapquest.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: retail shops/restaurants Kings Beach

Thank you both, now just 2 more questions.

Spotcat...where is the cobblestone mall in relationship to the boatworks mall

AND

Suzie-why is Kings Beach you least favorite? I am curious...

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: retail shops/restaurants Kings Beach

Cobblestone Mall is on your right as you drive through town. Boatworks is on your left and then you keep going west and you will see it on the right.

Kings Beach is just not that attractive. I'm not crazy about that part of the lake. Just personal preference. It just seems more run down than other parts of the lake. I'd say it has improved over the years but old attitudes are heard to break. I'm sure you'll have a good time. There are plenty of people who stay in Kings Beach who enjoy their stay.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,160 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: retail shops/restaurants Kings Beach

Suzie has made some very good points about the low year-round population. It's hard to live up here full-time unless you don't depend on the tourist dollar for your livelihood.

Most of the shops and restaurants will be open this weekend. There are some reduced hours and mid-week closures. Check the Tahoe-Truckee Week, a large, glossy free local news/advertising paper that you can pick up at any grocery store. You may find some off -season 2-for-1 restaurant offers.

Kings Beach isn't my favorite place either. It lacks charm, it doesn't have a walkable area of shops, and it is just not my cup of tea. The rundown appearance is improving and there are clean-up efforts underway.

Don't worry, it's not a horrid place to stay. I would be fine with a short vacation rental, but I wouldn't live there.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: retail shops/restaurants Kings Beach

Thank you for your insight, I'm kinda bummin' now. My original plan was to stay at Kings Beach for the 4th of July, I read they had a huge fireworks display (our anniversary is the 5th). However, I couldn't get a room facing the water, they were booked. So I thought it would be nice b-day stay this weekend and cheaper too. I also thought South Lake Tahoe hotels would be more worn because of so much tourist traffic. I kept reading about folks having a better time in Kings Beach since it was a quiet laid back area. I'm kinda getting the impression that it's dumpy, though neither of you have actually said the word. Am I just confused?

Thanks for the tip about the Tahoe-Truckee paper, I will look for it.

Get answers to your questions about Lake Tahoe (California)