We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I rent cars in S. Lake Tahoe?

TX
Level Contributor
142 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Can I rent cars in S. Lake Tahoe?

Our family is flying into Reno this Thursday. We had planned to rent a car at the airport then drive to S. Lake Tahoe, but the forecast says it will be snowing and windy. If we don't feel comfortable driving this Thursday, we could catch the shuttle into SLT, but we would like to have a car to get around while in SLT. Can we rent cars there? Would rental places be near Embassy Suites?

Thank you

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,370 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I rent cars in S. Lake Tahoe?

To answer your question, there is an Avis and Hertz car rental that I know of in SLT. One is close to the Embassy, check which one. We've been flying to Reno for years, renting a SUV and don't mind the drive in the snowy weather. If it's that bad, they don't let you up the hill. You'll know once you get there, from the rental office in Reno.

Glad you will have a white Christmas!

Portola Valley...
Level Contributor
163 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I rent cars in S. Lake Tahoe?

You may not need a car all the days you are there.

Heavenly, Sierra-at-Tahoe (avoid at the weekend as locals crowd it) and Kirkwood all have shuttle buses that go round to Embassy Suites.

If you do decide to drive - don't go past Mount Rose on 431 its high and could be treacherous.

Drive down 395 towards Carson City then go on the main road to South Lake Tahoe. Unless the weather is really foul you'll be OK until possibly you reach the edge of the lake. Check the road out by telephone call 511 (within Nevada) or 877-NV-ROADS (877-687-6237) outside Nevada. Its route 50 that you need to check if that's OK most likely 395 is OK but you can also check that route.

TX
Level Contributor
142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I rent cars in S. Lake Tahoe?

Thank you!

4. Re: Can I rent cars in S. Lake Tahoe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 19:18