We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Tahoe - Bodie-Yosemite 1 day

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Tahoe - Bodie-Yosemite 1 day

Hi All,

Just wanted feed back if its feasible to leave Lake Tahoe around 7am arrive Bodie about 11ish, then arrive Yosemite early evening? Or is this way to much driving in one day.

How long would you need to really appreciate Bodie on limited time?

Cheers

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Tahoe - Bodie-Yosemite 1 day

Not too much driving in one day. Once you get to Bodie, probably 2 hours is plenty to see the town. Sounds like a good plan to me.

I guess you know Tioga pass into Yosemite is closed now due to winter snow? It should open end of May-early June.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,157 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Tahoe - Bodie-Yosemite 1 day

If you plan to spend the night in Yosemite, you should be fine. The time spent in Bodie depends on your level of interest. I'm a hisory buff, two hours works for me. Hubby is bored after the first hour. My brother is an artist, M.A. in history, with a deep interest in ghost towns. The man would move to Bodie.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Tahoe - Bodie-Yosemite 1 day

I am assuming this is summer and if so you should know that the daylight hours are quite long. Dark-dark is after 9:30

2 hours from SLT to the turn off to Bodie, maybe 2.5. Bodie is good for a few hours. If it's a really warm day it's ahrd to stay out there as there is virtually no shade.

About 30 minutes to Lee Vining, maybe less.

Two hours form Lee Vining to the valley maybe more if you stop a bunch which I suggest.

Grab a bite at the Whoa Nellie Deli inside the gas station on your left as you turn onto 120 in Lee Vining.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Tahoe - Bodie-Yosemite 1 day

Hi All,

It will be summer, we will be leaving Lake Tahoe on the 25th August, so the pass will be open.

Just how hot does Bodie get, I might need to invest in a cap & sun-glasses?

Cheers

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Tahoe - Bodie-Yosemite 1 day

Yes, get a cap with a wide brim and sun glasses.

If you can time your Bodie stop to coinside with the gold stamping mill tours, I believe 11am and 1pm, this is well worth it, $3 when we went.

Head directly to the museum/visitors center and reserve your place, then mosey around until the tour starts.

Your travel distances are fine for one day.

Have a great trip!

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Tahoe - Bodie-Yosemite 1 day

In addition to your wide brim hat and sunglasses -- bring WATER. Just looking at the area makes you makes one crying for -- WATER!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Tahoe - Bodie-Yosemite 1 day

With your vacation starting in San Francisco, you could treat yourself to an appropriate souveneer cap and sunglasses there.

And, the suggestion to stop at the Whoa Nellie Deli is actually a must do since the sandwiches are great and Mono Lake is within view.

Have you posted the complete itinerary in one place? I noticed your trip on the Zion National Park forum.

On another trip, you should visit Yellowstone National Park. I'm fortunate to live in Salt Lake City ... 5 hours north to Yellowstone, 5 hours south to Zion.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Tahoe - Bodie-Yosemite 1 day

'Have you posted the complete itinerary in one place? I noticed your trip on the Zion National Park forum.'

Xochipilli, I did orginally post in the San Francisco forum,at the time I hadn't really put together an itinerary, & as I have been researching I wanted specific info about each national park etc.

I have never planned a trip like this before, have always relied on Travel Agents in the past. All the help is very grateful & this is my first time using a forum.

I have taken notes & the Whoa Nellie Deli has been noted.

Cheers

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
578 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Tahoe - Bodie-Yosemite 1 day

You might want to look into making your Yosemite reservations as soon as possible. It's a long drive from the eastern entrance at Tioga pass to any accommodations outside the park near any of the other entrances.

The Tuolumne (say "Too ALL Um Mee") Meadows area is beautiful high sierra terrain and feels very wild. It would also be your closest stopping point inside the park.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Tahoe - Bodie-Yosemite 1 day

Hi,

Thanks for the post webspinner.

Yep, I am well aware of booking in Yosemite.

I believe the camping sites open there booking on 15th April/16th April down under.I have worked out that at 12 midnight Sydney time - 7am Pacific Time, I might just be able to get a camp site.

I have also joined Reserve America & Recreation Govt, how difficult will it be to get a camping spot?

Cheers

Get answers to your questions about Lake Tahoe (California)