We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tahoe to Volcano suggestions

Mundelein, Illinois
Level Contributor
139 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Tahoe to Volcano suggestions

So much to do, so little time, I'm on information overload now! Sep 16-24 in Tahoe area. We've booked first 3 nights in SLT Best Western so we can do leisurely drive around. We need to go to Volcano for 1 day (business). Love mountain scenery, driving, enjoy wine, aspen... Don't enjoy family touristy things (museums, ghost towns, etc.) Can pass on gourmet dining, but love steaks/seafood. We don't want to be on the go constantly, and are looking for 1-2 nights at a nicer (but under $200) place.

So, Sierra route recommendations: 50, 88 or 4/49? Should we keep SLT as base camp and drive back & forth, or find reasonable(under $140)lodging in the Sierras for 2-3 days (Fitzpatrick Winery? others?)

What about staying last few days in NLT/Truckee area? (River Ranch Lodge, Firelite, Ferrari's Crown?) Thanks for all input!

south lake tahoe, ca
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tahoe to Volcano suggestions

I grew up in Amador County, so I definitely think you should take 88 to get to Volcano. It is not the easiest drive, but it is one of my favorites!! Volcano is a beautiful little town, and all of the roads in and out are great fun!

Mundelein, Illinois
Level Contributor
139 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tahoe to Volcano suggestions

Thanks! After driving in Estes Park and other parts of the Rockies, I've become used to white knuckles - most of the time - and I'm a midwest flatlander. Any suggestions for wineries or lodging? This is our first trip out, so we're really looking forward to it all.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tahoe to Volcano suggestions

There is nothing wrong with the hwy 88 route, as it is the most direct. The road is not too bad, but I prefer Hwy 4 route as a more scenic route. In fact I drove it yesterday on my trip home from Lake Tahoe. Hwy 4 is steeper and much narrower road, but I really like the views. It will bring you right into the Ironstone Winery: http://www.ironstonevineyards.com

You have business in Volcano? Not much there, but that whole area is fun to explore.

south lake tahoe, ca
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tahoe to Volcano suggestions

Ironstone is a beautiful winery on amazing grounds. If you choose 4 you should definitely stop there. You mentioned Fitzpatrick which is one of my favorites in El Dorado County. If you have time while you are there, maybe a trip to Shenandoah Valley should be on the agenda. Im a bit biased, because it is my hometown-I lived 18 years there-, but there are about 45 winery's to choose from in a 5 mile radius. Some of my favorites are Cooper Vineyards (off of Shenandoan School Rd.), Dobra, (on Steiner RD.), Montevina (also Shenandoan School Rd.) -gosh there are soooo many it is hard to pick. If you decide to venture out there, let me know! Have Fun!!

Mundelein, Illinois
Level Contributor
139 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tahoe to Volcano suggestions

OK. It looks like we can easily spend 2 days in the area, and find lodging anywhere along 49N if we don't find a special place on the weekend. (I'm still aiming for Fitzpatrick at least one night. It looks gorgeous!) So, I think we'll take 4 down, stay overnight, go up to Volcano, drive around some more, then return via 88.

NOW, is Yosemite trying to do too much? "All" we'd want to do is drive through, see the sequoias, and then take 395 back. I think that would easily be a day in itself, whether we took 395 down/120 across, 49 up, or the reverse. STOP LAUGHING! You see why our driving vacations become treks ; )

Mundelein, Illinois
Level Contributor
139 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tahoe to Volcano suggestions

Cancel the Yosemite idea. I just found Calaveras Big Trees SP. That should do us quite well.

Mundelein, Illinois
Level Contributor
139 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tahoe to Volcano suggestions

Well, here's our plans so far: Sep 16-18 Best Western in SLT. Drive around, sit around, sip a glass or two... Over the pass to BW Sonora on the 19th, then play loose in the area - Volcano, wineries, Big Trees. Fitzpatricks is booked for the weekend, so we'll probably stay somewhere along 49 or head back to north/west shore. (Still looking for "the" place.) Then final 2 days in Reno.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tahoe to Volcano suggestions

FYI Aspen Trees are few & far between in The Sierras. A few on the Eastern Slope but none on the West side. You really need to get to Utah/Colorado for those beauties.

Lake Tahoe/Truckee
Level Contributor
8 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tahoe to Volcano suggestions

Sounds like a great trip. If you do end up in the North Lake Tahoe/Truckee area check out Tahoe Mountain Resorts Lodging in the Village at Northstar. Beautiful scenery, great access to hiking and biking trails, a golf course on site, shops as well as casual dining in the village. I would recommend a weekend stay if you are looking to enjoy the free rides on the sightseeing gondola up the mountain, the mountain bike park or the skating rink. Otherwise any time is great to just relax with a good book in front of the fireplace, take a soak in a hot tub or cook your own romantic special dinner for two in luxurious mountain surroundings...

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,074 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tahoe to Volcano suggestions

Peddler, for your FYI, many areas in and near in the Sierras have aspen trees. They are not few and far between. Drive up 80 during the fall, the foothills have a wonderful mix of aspens and evergreens. There are lovely aspens on the drive from Northstar to Kings Beach. There are beautiful aspens on my street and in my yard. Please take the time to savor the beautiful areas between Oakland and Reno. You might see something you like.

Tahoe Mountain Properties does have some excellent homes and condos, however they aren't the only property management company in NorthStar. Self-promotion is a TA no-no.