We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

other ski resorts near Heavenly

Florida
Level Contributor
681 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
other ski resorts near Heavenly

We have skied Heavenly years ago and never went to the other resorts near by. I believe the 2 that are close are Sierra and Kirwood. We are staying at Harrah's in January. Me and my son are blue run skiers and DH loves the black runs. Is it worth it to go and check out the other ski resorts. We will ski 5 out of 7 days. Does the ski pass to Heavenly also work for the other resorts?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: other ski resorts near Heavenly

Heavenly is not associated with the other two resorts so a ski pass at Heavenly will not work at Sierra or Kirkwood. Sierra has a sister resort at Northstar At Tahoe on the north side (between Truckee & the Lake on 267) and they share access.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: other ski resorts near Heavenly

Kirkwood is our favorite place to ski. It is a fabulous mountain. Lots of blue and tons of good black runs too. It is 45 min. south of South Lake Tahoe. I am not aware of any lift tickets that can be used at both places. Kirkwood will be a little less expensive than Heavenly. The drive to Kirkwood is easy as long as there is not a big storm. There is one pass you go over (Carson Pass) that will close in a storm. We much prefer Kirkwood to heavenly. It is much less crowded and a much easier mountain to navigate. heavenly is so big and spread out and it takes a long time to figure out. It is not friendly to snowboarders as there are lots of areas where getting from one area to another is difficult on a snowboard. Sierra at Tahoe is a nice area but much smaller than Heavenly or Kirkwood. Very popular with snowboarders though. I would recommend skiing at least 2 days at Kirkwood.

South Lake Tahoe, Ca
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: other ski resorts near Heavenly

I usually ski at Heavenly, ( have a pass and on work days it is close), but I agree with the others about Kirkwood. The advanced runs are a bit more challenging, but the drive is a lot longer. Depending on where you are staying, there are some nice resorts on the North Shore. Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley are both world class. North Star, up on 267, outside of Trukee is also a lot of fun. They have a village, shops, restuarants and an ice skating rink. Mount Rose, which is closer to Reno also has a good rep. Wherever you end up, I am sure you will have a wonderful time!

4. Re: other ski resorts near Heavenly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 07:21