We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to live?

Melbourne
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to live?

Hi,

I am planning to come to Lake Tahoe in mid January and spending the ski season there. I have a couple of questions which I hope to get some help with:

1. Which ski resort is the best for experienced skiers. I am thinking Heavenly.

2. If I decide to ski Heavenly, where is the best village/area to try to find accommodation for a couple of months. I hopefully would like to have easy access to the ski slopes and also in an area which has a good nightlife.

3. How late does the ski season generally go?

Thanks for any help or any extra advice.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to live?

1. Some people agree with Heavenly, but others like Squaw Valley.

2. If you decide on Heavenly, the answer would be South Lake Tahoe. If you opt to go with Squaw, it's in between Tahoe City and Truckee.

3. That varies, as a general rule it ends the weekend after Easter. If there is still snow, the resorts may stay open until late April. There have been a couple of years when the resorts stayed open on weekends until the Fourth of July. That's rare, but it has happened.

Best of luck!

Mentioned in this post
Squaw Valley
Squaw Valley
California
South Lake Tahoe
South Lake Tahoe
Lake Tahoe (California), CA
Tahoe City
Tahoe City
Truckee
Truckee
Melbourne
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to live?

Thanks Spotcat.

What areas in south lake tahoe are good to look for accommodation in? I have been looking at places on Craigslist but not sure where each places in located.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to live?

You might want to ask TahoeSnowBunny. She lives in South Lake Tahoe. Sorry, I live near North Lake Tahoe and I'm not very familiar with the different SLT neighborhoods.

Mentioned in this post
South Lake Tahoe
South Lake Tahoe
Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to live?

For good nightlife, I'd think you definitely want South Lake Tahoe (Heavenly). Lots of concerts, bars, shows, gambling. North Tahoe (near Squaw Valley) is spectactularly beautiful but few options for nearby nightlife.

Mentioned in this post
South Lake Tahoe
South Lake Tahoe
Squaw Valley
Squaw Valley
California
5. Re: Where to live?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 17:17