We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tahoe resorts at weekends

UK
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tahoe resorts at weekends

All

looking at starting our trip on a weekend 1st Day saturdays boarding in North Lake Tahoe

What resort would everyone recommend? Squaw / Alpine Meadows or Mt Rose

would like to avoid the crowds - although will Squaw get really busy, what length queues are we talkng about?

Want to def board squaw, would saturday or Sunday be better?

Stu

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tahoe resorts at weekends

When? Soon? Late season? Squaw and Mt. Rose are highest, so latest. Squaw is biggest, so has a lot more crowds. It is BIG. Alpine and Squaw are closest to California, so crowded. Squaw is wildest -- the clientele, not the hill. Mt. Rose is 45 minutes up if you fly into Reno, except for traffic on a Saturday morning. To me, advantage: Mt. Rose. Then, if you're not jazzed by it, it's a few minutes over to Northstar, my favorite, the next day.

Of course, all this said, Squaw offers biggest bragging rights. Iconic, the Olympics, all that. [On edit: Squaw is not wild "-est". That honor goes to Heavenly. So, wild "-er". And to define terms, wild = a mix of skill levels, mixing, with the higher end - especially shredding - not caring...

Edited: 08 February 2010, 18:18
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tahoe resorts at weekends

I'm a little confused by your post but I'll give it a try. First off I have a season pass at both Squaw and Mt Rose. It looks like you're coming from the UK, if I was coming that far to visit Tahoe, I would spend a few days at Squaw and Alpine, Sugar Bowl and then Mt Rose, but you might want to take a drive over to Kirkwood for a day, it will take you about 90 minutes to get there but it's a nice ski resort. If you have any more time, spend a day at Heavenly like every other tourist. Northstar (FlatStar) would be last on my list but it does have a nice village.

I'm not sure when you'll be here but the conditions are great right now so the weekend s are busy. I skied at Mt Rose all weekend and I hardly waited in a lift line at all. I've skied at Squaw on very busy days and if you know where to go there aren't long lift lines at all. I was at Squaw a few weeks ago on a powder day and some of the lifts where closed so the lines were long, about 15 minutes in the morning, but I also skied Red Dog chair that day and never waited in a line. Squaw is a huge mountain and it can handle the large crowds. At Mt Rose the longest I've waited this year was about 10 to 15 minutes.

UK
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tahoe resorts at weekends

Hi

arriving on 26th of Feb so first day boarding Sat 27th

Planning 3 x days in North Tahoe

Thinking Squaw Sat, Sunday Alpine Meadows, Mon back to Squaw

then heading to South Lake for Heavenly, Kirkwood, Sierra

Staying in Reno first 3 nights does saturday squaw sound a god plan?

stuey

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,665 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tahoe resorts at weekends

If you are already doing Squaw one day, you might consider Northstar for one of the three days.

If you are an advanced snowboarder, Squaw should be fine on a Saturday as you won't be on the crowded slopes.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tahoe resorts at weekends

If i was Skiing/Boarding for three days in North Shore I would go to Squaw for two days and Alpine for one day or one day each at Squaw, Alpine and Sugar Bowl, do not go to Nothstar (Flatstar) on a weekend it will be packed!!

Where are you staying in Reno?

UK
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tahoe resorts at weekends

Hi

Thanks guys think it will be Squaw 2 x days and Alpine meadows 1 x day

Have to collect my lift pass from Squaw as pre-ourchased through a scheme in the UK

Also noticed Tuesday is cheap day at Mt Rose - is it worth a day out on the Tuesday?

Cheers

Stuey

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tahoe resorts at weekends

Lots of boarders think that Alpine is not the best for boarding. Flat areas that mean you are walking/pushing.

That being said....

$35 Alpine Meadows Ski Day on Sunday 02/28/2010. Enjoy The entire cost of your ticket supports the Sierra Avalanche Center.

http://snowpals.org/li...

8. Re: Tahoe resorts at weekends

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Lake Tahoe (California)