We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the skiing these days?

Somewhere
1 post
Save Topic
How is the skiing these days?

Long story short, we were supposed to be in South Lake Tahoe (Heavenly) over New Years. At that point, there essentially was 0 snow. We went ahead and cancelled then re-booked for early February.

Since New Years then it seems there has been one decent storm and little else. We're again faced with a debate as to whether it's worth making the trip this year given the snow conditions.

This would be our first trip out west (anywhere) ski and picked Tahoe because of the usual amazing conditions. As you might expect, it's not the cheapest thing to do when you're coming from the other coast and that's why there is a debate as to whether we should suck it up and cancel or go and pay the money despite the

Anyone with any advice or thoughts? Would greatly appreciate it!

Quick edit: Appears I should have posted this is the SLT forum. My mistake. If a mod can assist I would appreciate it!

Edited: 30 January 2012, 19:17
Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the skiing these days?

Early February? The weather forcast shows no snow coming for the next 7 days.......not looking good. I was at Lake Tahoe over the weekend and people are skiing and I saw snow making machines in operation. However, it was getting warm during the day (near 50) and the snow at lake level was melting pretty fast.

We may get hit with some good storms, but if you are coming to Lake Tahoe to ski it probably won't be the best. If you decide to come you will still be able to ski.

I don't want to tell you what to do, but if you can cancel without penalties it might be a good idea and try it later or even next winter. However, there is still plenty to see and do at Lake Tahoe.

Your posting here is just fine ---

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
757 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the skiing these days?

We're in the same boat as you are. We've planned a trip a while ago and already rented a house up there so we're not going to cancel but the little amount of snow is really disappointing this year. We're headed up this weekend for 10 nights.

It's still a GORGEOUS area up there. So the trip won't be all lost but definitely if you're only going to ski it won't be as good as usual. I'd say if you can't easily cancel or it won't cost too much to go ahead and go and make the most of it.

3. Re: How is the skiing these days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2013, 10:18