We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Tahoe Trip Report June 2-9 2012

minnesota
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Tahoe Trip Report June 2-9 2012

First I must say Lake Tahoe is breathtaking and we enjoyed everything we did and everywhere we went. Thank you to all who gave me advise for our trip. It was fabulous!

Day 1: We got up at 4:30AM in MN and left for the airport for our 7:15AM flight. After changing planes in Phoenix, we finally arrived in Reno at 12:15. We went to Enterprise for our car and after waiting for awhile they upgraded us with a Jeep Liberty. We took the Mount Rose Hwy from Reno to Tahoe. It was full of S turns and beautiful views. The first view we had of Lake Tahoe from high up was breathtaking. I tried to take a picture of it but could not get it all in. We stopped at Save Mart in Tahoe City for some water and breakfast foods on the way to the cabin. The cabin was a 3 bedroom A-frame with a stone fireplace and hot tub looking over Lake Tahoe. After getting settled in we checked out the private beach. We sat in the sun for awhile before going to dinner at the River Grill. The food was really good and it was nice to sit outside by the river. When we got back to the cabin we took a hot tub on the deck with a full moon on Lake Tahoe.

Day 2: It was my birthday, sunny and a high of 75 degrees. We took a hot tub early before going to Incline Village to rent a tandem kayak from Action Water Sports. We headed to Sand Harbor Beach which is awesome with huge boulders and crystal clear water. Being on Lake Tahoe on a beautiful sunny day was incredible. It took us 2 hours to get there and back. That was enough paddling for me. After returning the kayak we had lunch on the beach at Lakeside Grill. Our sail on the Safari Rose was at the same beach as well. The staff we constantly offering free drinks and brought the best fruit tray around and crackers and cheese too. It had gotten a bit windy so it was a little cool but otherwise perfect. We drove to Kings Beach and had dinner at Jason’s Lakeside Grill. We took another hot tub and enjoyed the full moon again. When we got out we went down to the street and took pictures of the moon. It was a great day.

Day 3: It was supposed to rain mid morning so we left the cabin at 7:00AM and went about 5 miles south of Tahoe City to Eagle Rock. We enjoyed the short hike up to the top where we had great views of the Lake. From there we headed to Emerald Bay and saw Eagle Falls from the road and Inspiration Point. It was very windy and I knew we were coming back the next day to spend more time. We continued south and took the 1 mile hike to Cascade Falls from the Bayview Campground where it was not as windy. We spent a lot of time here climbing around the falls. As we were trying to find Angora Lakes we missed a turn and ended up at Glen Alpine Falls, which was an unexpected surprise. We did find Angora Lakes trail but by this time it was starting to rain. We headed to South Lake Tahoe to Blue Dog Pizza before seeing Snow White and the Huntsman at the Heavenly Cinema. When we came out of the theater it was snowing! It made a very slow but very pretty drive back to Tahoe City. We did stop at Inspiration Point again to get a few pictures with the snow. When we got back to the cabin we turned on the fireplace and looked at all the pictures we took from the day. The sun came out and we took a hot tub again.

Day 4: It was supposed to rain in the afternoon and the temperature was 35 degrees. We left around 8:00 for Emerald Bay to Hike to Vickingsholm Castle and Eagle Falls. I expected it to be cold and the trails to be snowy and wet. The sun was out and most of the snow had melted. The temperature didn’t feel too bad as we hiked down the trail to the castle and beach. The trail continued to the base of Lower Eagle Falls. From there you could turn around and go back the way you came or climb up the rocks to the top of the falls. We chose to climb. We got a lot of pictures of the falls that you could not have gotten from the trail. We went across the street to the trail head for Upper Eagle Falls and Eagle Lake. This trail was quite a climb and sometimes hard to see where the trail was with all the surrounding rocks. The lake was very serene. There were very few people on the trail. It was 12:30 when we were done hiking so we went back to Tahoe City and had lunch at Firesign Café. I had crepes and they were delicious! After relaxing at the cabin in the afternoon we went to Sunnyside Lodge for dinner. It was too cold to sit outside but we could still enjoy the beautiful view.

Day 5: Another hot tub for the start of the day. It was going to be 65 degrees and sunny. We left around 9:00 and stopped at Save Mart to pick up sandwiches and a salad for a picnic lunch before heading for Sand Harbor. We hiked around and climbed on the rocks for about an hour taking pictures of the boulders in the aqua blue water. Then we found a place on the beach to have our picnic and laid in the warm sunshine-a very beautiful place. We headed back to Tahoe City and rented bikes at Willard’s Sport Shop. We biked along the Truckee River until it ended at Squaw Valley. From there we biked along the road to Truckee. I thought it was going 11 miles to Truckee but it turned out to be 14 ¾ . We checked out the shops and had ice cream at the sweet shop. Then we had to bike the 14 ¾ miles back to Tahoe City. That was a lot of biking for me. Dinner was at Jake’s on the Lake in Tahoe City.

Day 6: Today was supposed to be 69 degrees and sunny. We left mid morning for some hikes that we could not do on Monday because of the rain. We started with the Moraine Trail that took us down to Fallen Leaf Lake. From there we went to the Angora Look Out and the Angora Lakes Trail. This trail was a climb as we gained 240’ elevation in just a ½ mile. As we were driving down from the trail head we spotted a black bear. That was exciting! Camp Richardson beach was not far so we decided to check it out and get some sun. Our horse ride was at Zephyr Cove Stables. We rode the horses up to a ridge and had a nice view of Lake Tahoe. On the ride a doe crossed our trail. It was perfect weather for it and a very nice ride. We went back to Camp Richardson beach and had dinner at the Beacon out on the patio. I had the best steak tacos- Yum!

Day 7: The high today was to be 66 degrees and windy. We had a cruise on the Bleu wave at 11:00 which leaves from Zephyr Cove. We decided to travel the opposite way around the lake so we could see the east side. Going this way we went thru cave rock so we stopped there to take a few pictures. From there we got to the beach where the Bleu Wave left from. This was an awesome boat built in 1966. The cruise was wonderful. We had an all you can eat lunch buffet before arriving across the lake at Emerald Bay. It was too windy to be outside on the boat as we were going into the wind, but I loved being outside on the way back. After our cruise we went to the Heavenly Gondola which had just opened for the season today. We had a gondola to ourselves and enjoyed the ride up to the first platform where we got out and took photos. It took 3 photos to get the view of the lake in. At the top we hiked a mile to the East Peak lookout. It was very windy but not too bad considering we were at 9,591’ elevation. Dinner was at the Bistro on the Pier. I was able to sit out on the deck and enjoy the sun! We took a late night hot tub and enjoyed the stars.

Day 8: Last day. After packing up we left at 8:30 AM and went back to Bayview campground to the Granite Lake Trailhead. It was 1.9 miles to the lake with 880’ of climb. We parked along the highway and walked into D.L Bliss State Park to see Balancing Rock. After doing a little shopping in Tahoe city we had lunch at Tahoe Mountain Brewery Co. out on the patio. I did enjoy sitting in the warm sun . Off to the airport for our flight back home.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Tahoe Trip Report June 2-9 2012

Great report!!! Sounds wonderful. Thanks for posting.

For anyone concerned about the Heavenly Gondola. I have never shared the gondola on a scenic ride. At those scenic prices I'd insist on having it to myself if they ever tried to load it up.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Tahoe Trip Report June 2-9 2012

oceans61,

Thank you for your detailed report.

We will be in the area in mid July and have been considering going out on the Bleu Wave. I am glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Also, can you share any of those pictures that you took while you were there?

Thanks

rwdw

minnesota
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Tahoe Trip Report June 2-9 2012

rwdw

You will love the Bleu Wave cruise. The boat is in excellent condition with 4 different areas to be in- indoors or out. The lunch is an all you can eat buffet- rolls, sandwich meats, cheeses, chips and salsa, vegies. Everyone is given 2 drink tickets. The crew is great. People were hanging out right next to the captain and were asking questions. There is a $10 off coupon on line for the lunch cruise.

Here is a link to our pictures:

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa392/Oceans6361/Facebook/Trip%20to%20Lake%20Tahoe/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ32

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Tahoe Trip Report June 2-9 2012

Hi oceans61,

I tried your link but, your photo abum is private and password protected.

minnesota
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Tahoe Trip Report June 2-9 2012

Sorry, rwdw, I changed it to public. Try it again:

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Tahoe Trip Report June 2-9 2012

Wonderful trip report and photos.

The photos of Sand Harbor made me wish we were in Tahoe right now, but we'll have to wait another couple weeks. We always take the photo from the Mt. Rose Hywy. as we enter Incline Village, it never gets old.

Seeems like you ate out at the lake every night for dinner, and had some beautiful views.

Thanks again for the post.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Tahoe Trip Report June 2-9 2012

oceans61,

Thank you for sharing your photos. We really enjoyed them. They bring your trip report to life.

We have 1 month untill we are there!

8. Re: Lake Tahoe Trip Report June 2-9 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 01:17