We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Tahoe beach?

Pleasanton...
3 posts
Save Topic
Best Tahoe beach?

I want to spend a weekend at Lake Tahoe and do nothing much other than relax on the beach with family and kids. Which is the best beach for this?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Tahoe beach?

The best beach is when you stay at teh Hyatt in Incline and relax on their beach. They have lounge chairs, staff who will arrange your lounge chairs, food and beverage service, a kiosk for renting water crafts and activities. In the evening you cann eat with a lake view at Lone Eagle Grill, then sit at teh fire pits and have a vieew of the lake. They allow you to make s'mores at their fire pits (gas). There are also Hammocks scattered around the lakeside grounds.

Runner ups are

Meeks Bay West side

http://www.meeksbayresort.com/

Sand Harbor South of Incline on the east side

http://parks.nv.gov/parks/sand-harbor/

Zephyr Cove north of South Lake Tahoe on the east side

http://www.zephyrcove.com/

All of those have some sort of food on site as well as craft rental.

DL BLiss is niice but really hard to get into.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Tahoe beach?

Depends also on whether you want peace and quiet or more activity. North Lake Tahoe in general is quieter. I personally like Sand Harbor. Kings Beach is convenient but not as nice.

If you don't mind hiking to the beach and packing your food/equipment with you, you might want to consider Skunk Harbor. It's a 1.5 mile walk down to the beach (3 miles RT). Details at …usda.gov/recarea/…

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,025 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Tahoe beach?

Our favorite beach is at Sand Harbor.

aboutlaketahoe.com/beaches/sand-harbor.htm

Level Contributor
35,221 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Tahoe beach?

Sand Harbor is a beautiful beach with crystal clear water! Get there early, the parking lots fill up really fast, especially on the weekends in the summer. :)

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Tahoe beach?

LOL the entire lake has crystal clear water. All the parking lots fill up on weekends in August. All parking lots charge for parking as well.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Tahoe beach?

It depends on what you consider best. Although Sand Harbor is gorgeous, I'd never go there in a million years. Too crowded. I prefer swimming & hiking to laying on the beach. I like boulders to jump off of & lay on. I like to park on the east shore & hike down (it's steep) to the water.

Edited: 17 August 2012, 17:00
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,025 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Tahoe beach?

How long has it been since you've visited Sand Harbor in the summer? Parking for miles on each side of Route 28, is not allowed anymore. Now having to park in Incline Village, and shuttle over cuts down on the crowd overflow.

We noticed a big improvement this July at SH when we kayaked over from the Hyatt.

"Walk-In visitation will be permanently suspended on June 16, 2012 at Sand Harbor of Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park. When the parking lot reaches maximum vehicle capacity, gates close and reopen at 3:00 PM. As an alternative, we now offer the East Shore Express shuttle from Incline Village. Visit East Shore Express for more information."

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Tahoe beach?

CAnative, I have not swam there this year (east shore), but we did last year. Is that what you meant? We don't go to Sand Harbor, but just along the east shore, which is quite stunning and quite.

Edited: 17 August 2012, 21:06
9. Re: Best Tahoe beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 02:17