We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary getaway (with a dog...)

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary getaway (with a dog...)

My husband and I are celebrating our anniversary on Sept 4th. We just moved to Sonoma and would like to make a quick trip out to Tahoe to celebrate our first year of marriage. We aren't sure which part of Tahoe would be the best for us to stay. We are looking to go for a nice hike and have a nice dinner without spending much time in the car. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good hotel or area for us to check out? We are planning on bringing our yellow lab, but could leave her with friends if we find an awesome place that won't allow pets.

Thanks in advance,

Linn

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary getaway (with a dog...)

There are some nice hotels in SLT that are pet friendly. Some are listed under "Specialty Lodging." This is one I'm thinking of tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1798615-d56117…

There are some pup friendly hikes near Emerald Bay--Eagle Falls & Mt Tallac are two.

On the Norh Shore there are some nicer places a few miles from the lake--the Ritz at NorhStar & Plumpjack at Squaw. Squaw is very pet friendly. The hikes there are just gorgeous. We loved the Shirley Canyon hike as it's along a pretty creek the entire way. Pups are allowed on the gondola at Squaw as well.

Edited: 23 August 2012, 19:26
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary getaway (with a dog...)

Rustic Cottages in Tahoe Vista allows dogs and is closer to the Emerald Bay, Squaw Valley, and hikes. North shore Tahoe is very dog friendly, and I think much more romantic than SLT.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary getaway (with a dog...)

Did you find an awesome place? Not sure what awesome is for you.

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
844 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary getaway (with a dog...)

Definately stay in South Lake Tahoe. Most of the hikes are along the western side of Lake Tahoe. You see many dogs on the trails. How much hiking can or do you want to do and I'll suggest some trails?

Kent

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary getaway (with a dog...)

Dogs are not allowed on state and federal parks land. So you have to amke sure to find trails where dogs are allowed.

Do you know what kind of lodging you want? Price?

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary getaway (with a dog...)

Yes you want to do your research where you can go with your dog. In State Parks (there are no National Parks at Lake Tahoe) dogs are allowed on leash on paved trails. They are usually not allowed on dirt trails & beaches at State Parks. On National Forest lands dogs can be off leash. There are lots of National Forest and Wilderness lands where dogs are welcome at Tahoe.

At Spooner Lake, dogs are allowed on leash on the dirt path to Marlette Lake. I'm not sure, but I think this is a NV State Park.

PS If you are hikers and go to Tahoe often, Lake Tahoe Must-Do Hikes for Everyone by Mike White is very good. It seems to have every hike listed not just "must do for everyone" comparing to my National Forest map. But he lists if a trail is "dogs allowed."

Edited: 28 August 2012, 17:06
ATLANTA
Level Contributor
844 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary getaway (with a dog...)

I hiked to Eagle Lake in June and saw at least 20 dogs. Also, in my younger days a few years ago, I saw dogs on the trail to Mt Tallac, and I think I've seen them at Wright's Lake on the way to Grouse and Twin Lakes. All of these hikes are in CA.

Kent

8. Re: Anniversary getaway (with a dog...)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2013, 10:16