We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Lake Tahoe

Dallas, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Driving to Lake Tahoe

I am planning on taking a family vacation to Lake Tahoe in March. We are wanting to make a scenic drive from Dallas. Any suggestions of places to stop along the way? I was thinking the Grand Canyon for sure.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Lake Tahoe

Are you prepared to deal with snow & ice?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,216 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Lake Tahoe

For sure Grand Canyon is only a small sidetrip on the route and worth hitting. Another possibility is Death Valley. You'll also go through Vegas so Hoover Dam is an option.

As noted, you do need to think about winter driving, especially once you drop onto 395 in California generally from Mammoth Mountain north. Pay attention to advance weather forecasts so you have a sense of what you might be hitting. California snow is especially sloppy and slippery. If snow is in the forecast for your trip period, you may want (or need) to carry chains. At the same time, you might have great weather and never need assistance.

Have fun.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,545 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Lake Tahoe

Hi Lynn M, and welcome to TripAdvisor forums.

This forum is best for your visit to Lake Tahoe ~ where to stay, what to do, where to eat, and so on.

To plan your multi-state driving itinerary, please post on the Road Trips forum. Let folks know how many days you plan to drive, who is in the travel group, your travel style, and exactly when in March you want to travel.

Road Trips: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Lake Tahoe

How long do you have for this drive? Even chances on snow on I40.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,452 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Lake Tahoe

Are you from Dallas Lynn? You do realize how far this drive is? It is a four day drive at least without stopping and there are sights on the way that could make this a month long trip easily. How long were you planning on this trip being? Are you going to drive back to Dallas as well?

6. Re: Driving to Lake Tahoe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2013, 10:17