We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

logistics from SF to Northstar

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
logistics from SF to Northstar

We arrive at SF airport this friday 2/22 around 12:30, will be renting a car then driving to Northstar -- kinda crazy, but that's the plan. Wondering about best driving routes and somewhere roughly halfway to stop for a quick bite to eat & groceries.

Also advice/ideas about driving conditions re: snow, chains, etc would be helpful. We are renting a "small SUV" because we hope/assume it will have 4WD in case we need it for snow, mountains. Other general Northstar information or advice also very welcome! Thanks.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,828 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: logistics from SF to Northstar

Not that crazy. It's going to start raining early this week, but I am not sure it's going to be cold enough for snow. A small SUV may not give you 4WD or all WD. Lots of two WD small SUV's. So better be prepared for snow driving conditions (buy chains along the way? Does your rental company allow you to put chains on?).

Driving route would be 101 N out of SFO, cross the Bay Bridge, then 80 all the way. A favorite (and traditional) stopping point would be Ikeda's Market in Auburn.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,427 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: logistics from SF to Northstar

http://goo.gl/maps/HZzqz is the google maps directions. I would leave as soon as I can to avoid the Bay Bridge North of Bay Bridge traffic and then the rush hour around Sacramento.

Chains are not normally allowed by rental car companies. Please check with them. We rent a AWD and we know it is an AWD.

To say you are renting an SUV and hope it is a AWD, humm. with due respect, does not sound right to me.

You could stop in Truckee for Groceries. Northstar is fun. We love the restaurants there as well as the Ritz which you can go to as well

have fun

Edited: 17 February 2013, 17:31
Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: logistics from SF to Northstar

I guess that 12:30 is PM, not AM? If it is PM, you are going to get into some rush/Friday get out of town traffic for sure. You will probably get some Bay area traffic or at least Sacramento traffic. Just be prepared for slow moving traffic.

We are expecting snow starting Tuesday, but by Friday it looks like light snow showers. There is a chance you will need chains if you do not have 4 WD.....be prepared.

You can check weather forcast as your trip get closer. This guy is really good and lives in the area. He always seems to be right on for Lake Tahoe forcast.

http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe

There are many choices for a meal at Auburn that you can see from the freeway.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,342 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: logistics from SF to Northstar

>>>Driving route would be 101 N out of SFO, cross the Bay Bridge, then 80 all the way. <<<

Ummm Dublin means Interstate 80, not drive 80mph the whole way, CHP takes a very dim view of that.

As to eating and groceries I'd stop in the Galleria area of Roseville. It is about halfway and the Galleria and Fountains Shopping Centers you have 20 restaurants to choose from. In the Google Map below I did the route SFO to McCormick & Schmick's to Northstar.

I chose McCormick's because next door is Whole Foods. There are also two Safeways close by and a Sprouts Farmers Market as well. The Map is zoomed into the Roseville area, but you can zoom out and search the area to see where Safeway, Sprouts and even Costco are,

http://goo.gl/maps/sGXSM

Edited: 18 February 2013, 00:23
California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: logistics from SF to Northstar

If you get to & thru Sacramento by 3:30 you should be fine. I would plan to stop after you get past the Sacramento area. I would stop in Auburn. What kind of food are you looking for? You can eat in old town by taking the Maple street exit or at In & Out burger by getting off the 49/Grass Valley exit turning left at the light and then right after you go under the freeway.

I would personally wait till Truckee to pick up groceries. There is a Safeway in town. Take exit 185 89 north around the traffic circles and then right on Donner Pass Road. There is a Vons going south on 89 if you prefer that.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,071 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: logistics from SF to Northstar

<<Ummm Dublin means Interstate 80, not drive 80mph the whole way, CHP takes a very dim view of that.>> LOL, Scott. Sign of a native son. At least he didn't say "the" 80 ... as I would have.

I would not stop in Auburn. I would not stop at Ikeda. I would not stop in Auburn at all ... and I hate, hate that intersection with the In and Out in Auburn. Muuuuch easier would be to get off the 80 at Eureka/Taylor in Roseville. Follow your nose across Eureka and you'll see an In and Out Burger to your left with much easier access and a nice gas station, too. (No pun intended.) If you are not in the mood for a burger - there is a Brookfields Restaurant - family-owned, pretty good food and popular with travelers.

I would take a pass on the Fountains in Roseville (parking on a Friday afternoon? Ack!) and the Galleria as well. Their freeway access is off of Highway 65 ... don't mess with it. Especially on a Friday afternoon. Nasty.

I would stop at the Safeway in Truckee or somewhere in Tahoe City for groceries.

This is the local NBC affiliate for the Sacramento area. They have live Doppler for rain/snow. http://www.kcra.com/weather

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: logistics from SF to Northstar

It's likely to be too early to eat dinner by the time they get to Roseville or Auburn when you actually think about it.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,071 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: logistics from SF to Northstar

It would be maybe 3:30 or 4:00. Easily OK for the In and Out or Brookfields. Auburn is 10-15 minutes up the 80 - so that's not a difference. After that ... your options for food are slim until you hit Truckee.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: logistics from SF to Northstar

Ya makes a bit more sense to eat dinner in Truckee. Personally I would want to get past the 65/80 interchange before commute hours especially on Friday.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,828 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: logistics from SF to Northstar

Ummm Dublin means Interstate 80, not drive 80mph the whole way, CHP takes a very dim view of that.

-------

If you drive 80 mph on the 80, you'll get passed by everyone else on the road.

Get answers to your questions about Lake Tahoe (California)