We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Lake Tahoe to Vegas via death valley in March?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Lake Tahoe to Vegas via death valley in March?

Is it possible to drive from Lake Tahoe to Las vegas with maybe a couple of hours sightseeing in Death valley. We will start from lake tahoe on 17th March 2013

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Lake Tahoe to Vegas via death valley in March?

I have done this drive, but during the summer. It is a very long, but beautiful drive south on Hwy 395 to Lone Pine and then into Death Valley. You will have very little time to see much of Death Valley as the daylight hours will get short for you.

You need to keep a watch on the weather. If your planned drive day is during a stormy period, I would not attempt this drive.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Lake Tahoe to Vegas via death valley in March?

i wouldn't recommend it unless you get an expecially early start from lake tahoe. we drove tahoe to furnace creek lodge in death valley nationnal park and it was a full day/pleasant day. i couldn't imagine trying to fit in a few hours of site seeing and then still having to head to vegas. you'd have to try to be in death valley by 1-2 p.m. to have time to enjoy anything.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Lake Tahoe to Vegas via death valley in March?

Form Lake Tahoe to Las Vegas via Lone Pine and Death Valley NP already is 9 hours of driving WITHOUT STOPS. Also us395 can be subject to snow and you even may need chains on its northern part.

4. Re: Driving from Lake Tahoe to Vegas via death valley in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 05:16