We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To drive or to fly? June 2013

Auckland
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
To drive or to fly? June 2013

We are a couple in our late 50's travelling from San Francisco to South Lake Tahoe for a week, Billings Montana, and returning to San Francisco, before flying back to NZ.

We are wondering whether to fly between Lake Tahoe and Billings or self drive. If we drive, should we hire a motor home(what are the camping options) or sedan car?

Then there is the trip from Billings to San Francisco. To fly or to hire a motorhome, or simply drive a car. Is there anything to see?

Does any one have any suggestions?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To drive or to fly? June 2013

fly Reno to Billings since SLT doesn't have regular airline service.

Auckland
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To drive or to fly? June 2013

thanks.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,851 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To drive or to fly? June 2013

We fly in/out of Reno airport every year. It's located about 45 minutes from Lake Tahoe, and very easy to navigate.

I would fly to MT.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: To drive or to fly? June 2013

It depends upon how comfortable you are with very heavy city traffic (as bad as you will find in any city in the world) and with mountain driving. I would fly from SFO to Reno and rent a car and drive to Montana and then fly back to SFO from Billings (via Portland or Seattle as not likely to be a direct flight). Car rental rates in Montana are more than double what I have found anywhere else in the USA so I would advise against renting there if you can avoid it.

From Reno you can head to Lake Tahoe and travel around the lake and then on to Billings. But the country between Reno and Billings is desert for the most part and you would be missing very little to fly to Billings and pay the high car rental rates. For maximum time in pretty country I would fly from SFO to airport at Lake Tahoe or Reno and then fly to Billings and then back to SFO for the flight home.

The distances in the USA are great. We drove from Monterey to Bozeman and back last fall and the trip mileage was over 3000 miles which equates to more than 60 hours behind the wheel and half the time spent in less than scenic countryside.

5. Re: To drive or to fly? June 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 05:17