We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking in Donner Memorial State Park in December

singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Walking in Donner Memorial State Park in December

Hi everyone, my family will be in Tahoe in mid-December and would like to go on a couple of short and easy walks like the one in Donner Memorial State Park. If it snows, are these trails walkable, especially for someone in her 70's? Would we need any special gear such as snow boots?

I'm thinking since we'll probably do only the shortest & easiest routes (<40 mins), it shouldn't be much of a problem. Any advice on trails also much appreciated!

California
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking in Donner Memorial State Park in December

Hello,

I think it would be a very good idea to contact Donner Memorial State Park for the best information. Here is their web link www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25185

Also, you may wish to contact the Truckee-Donner Visitor's Bureau at www.truckee.com/

You wrote: <I'm thinking since we'll probably do only the shortest & easiest routes (<40 mins), it shouldn't be much of a problem>

It isn't much of a problem in the spring, summer and autumn, however, winter brings alot of snow to this area. You might want to ask the state park if they maintain some of the trails in the winter and if they clear them of snow so people can walk. (They probably do not clear the trails of snow.)

This might be an opportunity to do some cross-country skiing or cross-country walking ON GROOMED TRAILS ONLY! You may want to ask in your e-mail to Donner State Park if this is a possibility.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,246 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking in Donner Memorial State Park in December

I would definitely contact the park and see whether or not they maintain any trails in the winter time. They may or may not. If they don't, the trails will be as snowy as anyplace else in the park - and this area can get a lot of snow. I've been up there when the snow accumulation was around 8 ft deep already, and it was only the end of November.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking in Donner Memorial State Park in December

In any event, it will be very cold, and a sturdy pair of walking shoes which are waterproofed would be the best, unless it were snowing, in which case, warm snow boots are best. You never know what the weather will bring in December--could snow or rain, or not.

4. Re: Walking in Donner Memorial State Park in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 05:16