We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Incline Village - El Portal, Yosemite

Exeter, United...
14 posts
Save Topic
Incline Village - El Portal, Yosemite

Can anyone recommend the most scenes route from Incline Village to El Portal, Yosemite NP? Have all day for the drive, in early October.

LA
Level Contributor
9,944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Incline Village - El Portal, Yosemite

From Incline, take 28 south to Stateline and go east (left turn) at the intersection of 207 then over to Highway 395.

Take 395 south past Bridgeport, past Mono Lake to Lee Vining.

Just past Lee Vining take the right onto Tioga Pass (Highway 120) and enter the park over Tioga Pass. Allow time to stop and enjoy Tuolumne Meadows, Tenaya Lake, Olmstead Point. It's about 1 1/2 driving time from Lee Vining to the Yosemite Valley floor + stops you make. There is a speed limit of 35mph in the park on these roads, for the safety of animals, pedestrians, and other drivers.

Take 140 out of the park to El Portal.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,810 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Incline Village - El Portal, Yosemite

Some of Tioga Road has a speed limit of 25 mph and some is 45 mph. It seems so odd to drive that fast inside the Park!

I recommend detouring to Bodie State Historic Park (ghost town) and to Mono Lake.

I just posted on your El Portal thread. We need to figure out how many days you have in Yosemite (staying in El Portal.) I am assuming you have at least 3 nights, but if it's fewer you're going to have to leave out some terrific things.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Incline Village - El Portal, Yosemite

There is nothing wrong with Pareo's route. I will give you another option. From Incline Village drive west on Hwy 28 to Tahoe City. Take Hwy 89 along the west shore of Lake Tahoe and take in the views of Emerald Bay. Continue on Hwy 89 which matches up with Hwy 50 to Meyers. Just past Meyers take Hwy 89 over Luther Pass to the Hope Valley. This should be prime time for the fall colors in the Hope Valley. You will then turn left on Hwy 88 and pick up Hwy 89 again through Markleeville and take the Monitor Pass to Hwy 395 just south of the Topaz Lake.

The rest of the route given by Pareo is the same. If you have time, you might be interested in a visit to Bodie, but don't cut your time short on the drive over Tioga Pass.

LA
Level Contributor
9,944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Incline Village - El Portal, Yosemite

Hmm. That's a good one, CaSwede.

However, I think it might be better suited to the peak summer solstice time when there is more daylight. Even in early October, it's getting dark earlier and one can burn a lot of time in the first part of your trip visiting Emerald Bay, etc.

You'd have to be dilgent about not meandering / loitering too much as OP would stil have a good solid 2 1/2 hours of slow driving ahead even when they hit Lee Vining.

I might have suggested they stay on the west side or even in south Lake Tahoe and visit the west side on the drive in from the wine country.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 18:55
Exeter, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Incline Village - El Portal, Yosemite

It is 3 nights!

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,810 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Incline Village - El Portal, Yosemite

>>We are 2 nights in Santa Rosa, 2 in Incline, 3 in Yosemite<<

Excellent!

Yosemite forum page: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g61000-i315-Yosemi…

Exeter, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Incline Village - El Portal, Yosemite

Thank you all - you rock! This is much more helpful than the guide books!

We are 2 days at Incline Village, 3 at El Portal, please feel free to tell me what I MUST see in that time, as I am not sure we can afford to come again!

Exeter, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Incline Village - El Portal, Yosemite

Obviously recent events mean a change to what we intended to do in El Portal! We leave Santa Rosa tomorrow for Lake Tahoe, then head from Lake Tahoe to El Portal on Sunday 6th. and I'm trying to reduce our stay at El Portal to 2 nights so as to spend a night somewhere along Hwy395 before we head across to El Portal, giving us more time to explore along 395. Any advice on where to stop? Also what non-NP areas we can visit from El Portal?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,038 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Incline Village - El Portal, Yosemite

Where are you staying in Incline Village? We stay at the Hyatt, and have many favorite restaurants we like on Country Club Dr. or the Lone Eagle Grille at the hotel.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,810 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Incline Village - El Portal, Yosemite

Dev0nDave ~ there are at least a half dozen threads on the forum right now with alternate ideas. Read the ones on the Yosemite NP forum and on the California state forum.