We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is hiring a car to travel from Northstar to San Francisco

Perth, Australia
13 posts
Save Topic
Is hiring a car to travel from Northstar to San Francisco

We are a family of 5 (2 and 3 children) and we are considering driving from Northstar to San Francisco at the end of our stay at Northstar.

Have the following questions

- Is the drive worth doing?

- Unsure where we can hire a car in Northstar or if it need to be hired form surrounding areas?

- Unsure if there be a extra charge for driving to San Francisco one way and not returning car to point of hire? May have a vehicle that needs returning but depends on timing?

- Other options to get to San Francisco Bus/Fly??

Thanks

John M

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is hiring a car to travel from Northstar to San Francisco

The drive is only scenic while you are in the Sierras and foothills. Once you hit the Central Valley it's much less so. And from Sacramento to SF the trip is positively mind-numbing on a big interstate which is heavily trafficked with large trucks.

I don't know what the car rental situation is around Northstar but in general foreign visitors do not pay drop fees when they book through overseas booking agents.

Not much in the way of flying options: nearest airport is Reno and I would imagine the fare is pretty high for 5 people. Renting a car will definitely be the cheapest mode of transit.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is hiring a car to travel from Northstar to San Francisco

Hertz I kow is in truckee and there are bound to be other rental car companies . You can go to google and type in car rentals near Northstar at Tahoe and see the list . They may pick you up and take you to their office to do the paperwork and as WD said it would be the least exp way to get to SF. Book a car from the non US site to avoid drop off fees and include insurance

Perth, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is hiring a car to travel from Northstar to San Francisco

Thanks for your input

Perth, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is hiring a car to travel from Northstar to San Francisco

Thanks you for your input also - coming from another country it great people provide input.

I will do that search for Hertz and others hire companies. Truckee is not far which is great.

Thanks again.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,362 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is hiring a car to travel from Northstar to San Francisco

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor. Keep in mind that what may be "mind numbing" for some travelers may be interesting and diffferent to you!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is hiring a car to travel from Northstar to San Francisco

Really?

I'm sure #5 has driven I80 from Sac to SF (or perhaps not). I don't think anyone could or would ever consider that a "scenic" drive. It's a 4-5 lane interstate and it's a major artery for truck traffic. Everyone is doing minimum 70MPH and while it's mind numbing you also must maintain absolute focus on the road. IMO it's an exhausting drive. If I don't see a major accident on that road I see one almost happen.

It's not a friendly drive. There are alternatives if you have some extra time to detour through the Sacramento Delta but it's a more intricate drive.

I don't know what h_Brit is trying to accomplish by telling you that this "may be" a scenic drive.

Coloma, California
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is hiring a car to travel from Northstar to San Francisco

Scenic? No. Exhausting?No. I make that drive on a regular basis and if I'm not in a hurry I drive about 55 in the right lane. Not everyone drives 70 mph.

After American canyon take the exit for the rest area. Amazing view if clear.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,358 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is hiring a car to travel from Northstar to San Francisco

One option to take a break is at Vacaville and visit the outlets. We do that sometimes and most visitors from OZ want to do outlets shopping.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,713 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is hiring a car to travel from Northstar to San Francisco

What time of the year? What is your starting point? How will you get to Northstar in the first place?

Couple of options for a more scenic drive, if winter driving condition is not a problem and time is not a concern, is to take Hwy 20 to Nevada, then Grass Valley, then take 49 south to rejoin I-80.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,362 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is hiring a car to travel from Northstar to San Francisco

>>I don't know what h_Brit is trying to accomplish by telling you that this "may be" a scenic drive.<<

Please re-read my post more carefully. I do not mention the word scenic.

Not at all.

Here, I will repost it in its entirety for you, WhiteDahlia:

"Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor. Keep in mind that what may be "mind numbing" for some travelers may be interesting and diffferent to you!"

--

Here's another example of what I meant:

Many people from LA may think the LA --> LV drive is "boring", yet for visitors it gives them wide open vistas that may be dramtically different from anything near their hometowns.