We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return to Bang Saphan/Ban Krut.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Return to Bang Saphan/Ban Krut.

Returned to Bang Saphan in early May. My previous visit was in 2007 (I think) in what seems like a lifetime ago, so i was rather interested but also felt trepidation on what i will find.

Getting there:

The trip involved the missus, myself and some Thai friends. I was given the keys to their CRV and off we went. The drive down was uneventful and rather dull actually. Along the way we had lunch at Sung Wean restaurant in Cha-Am. The restaurant is a well known and "famous" beachside sesfood restaurant, they even had pics of one of the royals visiting. The food was quite good and tasty unfortunately the place stank of an open sewer. It stank, no exaggeration i lived next to the Klong SanSeab in BKK and this restaurant smelled worst. Seems they were throwing/emptying into a little open sewer next to the restaurant but it was blocked up turning it into a stinky disease ridden bog.

After a quick lunch, we were on the road again and past Santorini Theme Park. Dont ask me why theres a park in Hua Hin with Santorini as its theme, i didnt stop (actually pretended not to hear until i had past the turn off).

Bang Saphan - Ban Krut.

Finally after some rather fast driving (compliments of a dodgy belly, probably a gift from the sewer restaurant) we reached our destination. Unfortunately no one had booked any accomodation, so we drove around looking for vacancies. Oh did i mention it was a long weekend, so no vacancies. Finally found a new resort, Sririrun. New and absolutely gorgeous. A very nice pool area and bungalows. Unfortunately it was also pricey, they only had one bungalow available and to fit 5 of us in wouldve meant breaking the bank (extra B1500 on top of 3500 room charge).

So drove some more until we found Ratchavadee. They only had 1 bungalow left and as it was now 7pm we took it. Not very impressed by the resort (i did a review).

The next day we went on a snorkelling excursion to Koh Talu. We had pre booked through the resort, half day B350 8:30-12:30.. Getting to the pier required some driving to Bang Saphan noi. Because it was the long weekend the place was packed. Boat after boat heading out towards the reefs. It looked like an invasion fleet only with chatty thai girls, shrill voiced effeminate guys, noisy kids and the nonstop clicking of smart phones. Although crowded,the snorkelling was nice. For those uncomfortable in the water, the boat has a guide that will pull you to see the coral and fish.

Keang Talay Resort:

After we were done, it was back to Ban Krut looking fir accom and we found Keang Talay resort. Its a little 5 bungalow resort and is a one woman operation. The owner does everything and to her credit, she has built, run and maintained a very nice little place. Each bungalow was clean, welk maintained, good sized, had hot water and air cond. All at the rate of B1000. Its directly across from the beach and is walking distance to restaurants and 7-11 (which did not exist in 2007).

An interesting visit is to the Wat that sits on the headland near Ban Krut. It offe s a great view point of the area.

Ban Krut has definutely changed since 2007. There are now more resorts and even some high end ones. There were signs announcing the development and sale of luxury beach front villas. I even saw the thing i dreaded most, jetskis. My suggestion is to visit before it becomes too developed noisy and crowded.

Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Return to Bang Saphan/Ban Krut.

Thanks for the update

2. Re: Return to Bang Saphan/Ban Krut.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2017, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Bang Saphan