We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ialyssos village vs. Lachania

San Diego...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Ialyssos village vs. Lachania

My group of friends, traveling to Rhodes in July is trying to choose between to home at opposite ends of the island. One home is in Lalyssos and the other is Lachania. We are trying to compare locations and would love any information about either location. Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Rhodes Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ialyssos village vs. Lachania

Hi. the two locations are completely different. Ialyssos is on the west coast and very close to Rhodes Town. Lachania is situated south east. West coast beaches are pebbly and generally quite windy. The beaches near Lachania are a lot more sandy and the sea tends to be a bit calmer. Ialyssos has many restaurants, bars and tavernas. Lachania village itself has a few lovely little tavernas. Ialyssos, due to its location will have many more people at that time of year where as Lachania is a lot quieter. If you have the luxury of time why not do a week in each? ;-)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ialyssos village vs. Lachania

Hi there

Bear in mind that Lachania is pretty remote and if you intend seeing some of the island by bus, the services into and out of Lachania are very few and far between whereas Ialyssos has an excellent service into Rhodes Town and once there, you have easy access to many other parts of the island.

It doesn't make that much difference if you hire a car but Rhodes is still a big island and with fuel the price it is in Greece, you would rack up a load of miles seeing the sights from Lachania, apart from those in the far south of the island.

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,752 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ialyssos village vs. Lachania

Graham. I have just checked fuel prices for Devizes

Compared to Rhodes its 10 pence a litre cheaper in UK

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ialyssos village vs. Lachania

It has dropped by a few pence a litre here this past few weeks so has it gone up a bit on Rhodes?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ialyssos village vs. Lachania

Thanks for your responses. We are a group of 8 and will probably hire two cars to meet the group's needs. Half will want to stay close to home and enjoy the beaches and local tavernas and the other half will want to visit every sight there is to visit.

Can you tell me what a reasonable amount of driving time is to get from the airport to Lachania? I am trying to get a sense of the size of the island in regards to travel times.

Thanks!

Hollie

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ialyssos village vs. Lachania

Hi there

I would allow 90 minutes to reach Lachania from the airport, I reckon it's about 90 kms or 55 miles. If you have a map of the island, you will see there's a road which swings right across the island from the airport on the west coast to the east coast, after which you simply follow the east coast road all the way down.

When you reach the junction just to the south of Kalathos, take the right fork towards Lardos, this bypasses Lindos and Pefkos

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ialyssos village vs. Lachania

My friends live in lachania and have been quiet a few times to visit them there are 2 tavernas on the main road and a very small supermarket. one of these tavernas is owned by the local priest papa george. There is also a taverna in the centre of the village the platanos, The nearest main village to lachania is gennadi about ten minutes drive. Lots more in the way of places to visit. There is a local bakery and greengrocer a proton supermarket, about 10 restaurants and bars open during the summer season. The beach ones close during winter. Airport to lachania appox 1 hour 20 minutes.

Edited: 14 December 2013, 17:56
San Diego...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ialyssos village vs. Lachania

Thanks for all your helpful information.! I'm sure I will have a lot more questions as we plan our trip. Nice to know all of you are around and willing to help.

Hollie

Reply to: Ialyssos village vs. Lachania
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lachania
Recent Conversations
More Lachania Topics