We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card fraud!

Cool, California
Level Contributor
92 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Credit card fraud!

We just returned from a 5-week stay in Puerto Vallarta last Thursday, July 11. We mainly used cash, but occasionally used one credit card in a handful of restaurants. We notified the credit card company of the dates we would be in PV. We received a phone call today from our credit card company, asking us about $5550 in charges made to our card since July 12, from PV to Cancun, to the US border. Most of the companies' names sound fraudulent. All charges are being reversed by the cc co., but I'm wondering if there is a list anywhere on TA in older postings naming restaurants where cc were used, to see if there is any pattern. Yes, we are aware of the risks, and mostly use cash, but took a chance with one cc, because we knew we could monitor it.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,992 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card fraud!

I doubt if the risk is greater in one country than another. Some of the CC companies send you an e-mail with every transaction if you elect that option. Yeah, I know vacationers don't necessarily access e-mail regularly but it is one more thought about CC's. I use a CC whenever I can regardless of where I am.

2. Re: Credit card fraud!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 07:18