We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving through michoacan to Ixtapa

Wyoming, Michigan
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving through michoacan to Ixtapa

Im taking my wife and kid to visit my mom and dad that lives in uriangato in the winter is it safe to drive to ixtapa?

Guadalupe Sanctuary
Sacred & Religious Sites
Centro Historico de Morelia
Historic Walking Areas, Historic Sites, Neighbourhoods
Catedral de Morelia
Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving through michoacan to Ixtapa

From Morelia just take the toll road virtually all the way and do the drive in daylight - then you should be fine. The main "trouble" is in towns and villages away from the main highways. And ask your mum and dad - they should have good local knowledge.

Wyoming, Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving through michoacan to Ixtapa

Thank you they said the same

Central Vermont
Level Contributor
4 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving through michoacan to Ixtapa

My wife and I just returned 3/20/14 from 2 weeks touring Morelia, Patzquaro and the Michoacan coast. We came upon armed local militia check points numerous times. We were greeted with smiles and waved through without even questioning us. We never felt in danger at anytime. Take normal precautions and you should be as safe as you are anywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Michoacan, Mexico
4. Re: Driving through michoacan to Ixtapa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2016, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Michoacan