We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cooking classes

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
cooking classes

Any recommended cooking classes in Oaxaca region? I am interested in learning the techniques of Mexican cooking rather than mixing a few ingredients to cook a dish without understanding anything. Thanks :-)

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cooking classes

The top rated cooking school under "thing to do in Oaxaca" is Casa de los Sabores Cooking School, with Chef Pilar Cabrera, with Nora Valencia close behind. I've reviewed Pilar's school a couple of times, and have also reviewed Nora Valencia and Susana Trilling. You'll find the reviews on the internet as well as on one of my own websites here, under Food and Beverages: http://www.oaxacadream.com/articlesmain.html. Read the commentaries on TA as well of course. I'm biased in favor of one, because she combines indigeneity and a generations-long family tradition, academic qualifications, bilingualism, and international experience. You'll find others as well, but consider what they each brings to the table, what you read about their personalities and qualifications, etc. People will weigh in on this forum topic, but you likely will not get as much feedback as looking at the tripadvisor reviews which have already been posted.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cooking classes

You can choose for yourself from all but Pilar Cabrera are on this website www.insideroaxaca.mx/schools/cooking.php THEY ARE ALL GOOD. It depends on how much you want to spend and as it says above, who strikes your fancy. I know Reyna Mendoza, Ofelia Toledo have been recommended by RICK BAYLESS of Frontera Grill, Topolobampo & his TV cooking show.

HAVE A GREAT TIME IN OAXACA. That website gives you a ton of info. on the area, hotels, restaurants, and much more.

Susan

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cooking classes

Thanks :-). I don't know the exact date I would like to join the class but I sure don't want to miss it. Do you think I should book a few days ahead or I could do it just the day before. I would like to have that flexibility.

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cooking classes

Book in advance. Not everyone offers classes every day, and some have maximum limits on numbers. Flexibility is great, but waiting might result in you not getting the class you want. I know of instances where a class has not been offered on the day wanted, or is full, and the person has ended up with a class taught by a second or third choice facility and been disappointed in what they received in terms of quality of instruction. Quality is on a scale, and with all due respect, as some tripadvisor reviews suggest, I do not believe that all classes result in a great culinary experience, though most of course do.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cooking classes

Thanks titosarah. I sent a couple of emails yesterday so I will book as soon as they answer with their availability.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cooking classes

Took the class with Pilar Cabrera (Casa de los Sabores) a few days ago and had a great experience. Professional, relaxed, friendly and informative. Highly recommended! :-)

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cooking classes

TaraTraveller: Thanks for your feedback. Don't forget to leave a review of your experience on TA.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakast

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cooking classes

I was going to do it, don't worry :-)

wATERVILLE, OHIO...
Level Contributor
188 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cooking classes

Is this in Huatualco. I am looking for cooking classes in Huatualco for 2-21 thru 3-7- Help

Eve

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cooking classes

Evelynne: Try Alfredo at Café Juanita in Santa Cruz.