We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico

Batavia, Illinois
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Isla Mujeres, Mexico

Traveling to Isla Mujeres, Mexico for the first time in March. Other family members have made the plans and have visited many times. I would like other opinions on what the island is like. I have only heard one opinion, and that was that it is run down. Would like other input. Thanks Gloie

Texas
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujeres, Mexico

Dear Gloie,

I live in Texas, and I go to Isla once or twice a year, staying about 2 weeks at a time. I don't know where you live, but if your not accustomed to Mexican towns, most of them appear to be run down, but that's just Mexico. I just returned from Isla last week, and again had a great time. The main street is Hildago, where most tourist hang out. Plenty of shops to browse, restaurants, etc. A few blocks north is Playa Del Norte, (the north beach). Beautiful white sand, pristine water, plenty of palm trees. I'm a guy so it doesn't bother me, but there are plenty of topless gals on the beach so take warning if you are offended by this. Jax's, San Cochos, Don Chepo's, Maninno's, Del Mar, Pincas, are all good places to eat and drink. Ask any local, they will point you the way. Keep in mind that they trade in Peso's not U.S. Dollars, but you can exchange at a bunch of places on the island. Sometimes the best rates are at the ferry dock, either before you board or after you arrive. The island is only 1/2 mile wide, and about 5 miles long. You can rent a golf cart for about $50 USD for all day, and see all of the island and have plenty of time left over. Best place for a cart is Cardenna's, just a couple blocks off Hildago St. Locals can point the way. Half way down the island going south are the "Colonies", (The Colony) where most of the locals live. Some of these folks are dirt poor, and thier homes reflect this, but keep in mind, few earn more than $50-$75 a week. Hope you get this before you leave, and have a good time. If you need more info feel free to contact me at bob.rea@sbcglobal.net.

From Texas,

Bob Rea

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujeres, Mexico

Bob,

My wife and I are all set to arrive during the December celebrations...very excited about it for it is our first time there. Have many questions about the island and you seem the most educated as to how, where, when and the sort.

So, we've been told that Bestway is the company to get to the ferry from the airport...do we really have to book (taxi)in advance?

That's my question for now, but you might hear from my wife. Thanks for your help, we can really use the advise.

Eric & Dawn

San Diego, CA.

Edited: 27 August 2010, 17:37
Ojai,CA
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Mujeres, Mexico

My husband and I have only been to Cancun and Isla de Mujeres once, but we found it easier ( after long flight from LAX, through Mexico City, then onto Cancun) to set up a driver to meet us at the airport and take us to our Cancun hotel. I don't remember the name of the company, but they advertised online, we paid ahead of time ( not including tip for the driver) and it was relatively cheap and easy. There are many taxis at the airport who would love to take you to the ferry, and you might do a bit better price wise. maybe.

Isla was BETTER than Cancun for us- beautiful, simple, relaxed. But as Bob points out, if you are not used to Mexico standards, it may strike you as rundown. we loved it and can't wait to return. just pack a couple of bathing suits, sunscreen, and shorts, and you are good to go

Northwest Indiana
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Mujeres, Mexico

You will get a lot of info if you post on the Isla Mujeres forum here on Trip Advisor. It's a very active forum and full of people who love Isla and will very enthusiastically help you with all the questions you may have. Enjoy Isla, it's wonderful!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Mujeres, Mexico

Just wondering how long the ferry ride is? Once you get off the ferry can you walk to the place you recommended to rent a golf cart or do you need a taxi to get there?--Thank you.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Mujeres, Mexico

Ultramar ferry from Puerto Juarez takes 20 minutes and runs every half hour until 8 or 9pm when they shift to hourly. Ferries from Hotel Zone have more limited schedules.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Mujeres, Mexico

I have lived in Isla for eight years. The past two presidents have really done a lot to the Island. Sidewalks, parks, pavers, landscape, street signs, street lights & more garbage pick ups to name some of the improvements. I would say the Island looks better than it ever has.

The structures of some of the local building/residents may appear to "look run down". But tar paper houses are not unusual here. I've been in a few & their tvs & stereos are way nicer than mine! People's priorities are just different.

As for airport transfers, I highly recommend using a service like Best Day or Cancun Valet. It will be cheaper & much more convenient than haggling with taxis. The bus is an option but it takes time & you still need to take a taxi to the ferry. The service you choose, just depends on how many people are in your party. If you only have one ot two in your party, Best Day is great. If you have more or need a car seat, Cancun Valet is the way to go.

8. Re: Isla Mujeres, Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2011, 05:15