We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What towns do we visit and what should our base be?

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What towns do we visit and what should our base be?

My wife and I and our 2 children (6-2) will be in Playa-Tulum this July and plan to move on to Valladolid and then a couple of other towns. We are wondering what order we should visit and where we should make our base? We have been to Merida and plan to go back this time as well, but we are thinking Izamal, Ticul. Should we make Merida our base and do day trips? We will have a car and will travel back to Isla Mujeres after about 4 days.

Thanks,

Robert

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What towns do we visit and what should our base be?

I would probably (since you are only spending 4 days in that area) make Merida your base for that part of the trip and enjoy Merida along with making day trips.. That way you save the extra time you would be spending (packing, check-out, check-in, etc) and have more time to enjoy the area.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What towns do we visit and what should our base be?

so, going from Tulum - Valladolid, spend the day/night in Valladolid. Then on to Merida and use that as a base to see Izamal, Uxmal would be a good idea?

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What towns do we visit and what should our base be?

Moving around to several other towns, all in 4 days? Huh? Make Valladolid your base or Piste, see Chitzen Itza EARLY in the morning (midday and afternoon is a killer), head north to the beach north of Tzimin. Unless you want to spend all your time driving, explore the eastern end of the state of Yucatan and southern QR. Come back another time for Merida and Izamal.

When in Izamal consider the Macan Che or, in nearby Sudzal, San Antonio Chalante. Ticul? Am unaware of a place there where you would really to stay. The town closes down from noon to about 5 or 6 daily, is quite traditional, and sleepy.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What towns do we visit and what should our base be?

Yes, going from Tulum to Valladolid (spending the night) and then to Merida will work.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What towns do we visit and what should our base be?

It's four hours plus of driving between Tulum and Merida, so plan on probably 10 full hours of your four days in the car just getting there and back. Seems like a lot to me, so I'd go with the earlier poster and use Valladolid as your base of operations.

From Valladolid, there are several excursions you can do pretty easily. You can do Chichen Itza day (with stops at Balankanche and Ik Kil) and an Ek Balam/Rios Lagartos day, On the drive there or back tour Coba.

Have a great trip!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What towns do we visit and what should our base be?

Sorry, but I just noticed that you have a two-year-old. Frankly, anything other than hanging out at the beach in Tulum will be a challenge, in my opinion. But if you really wanted to go somewhere, then perhaps Merida would be best, as you could at least hole up in a hotel with air conditioning if the children get too cranky.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What towns do we visit and what should our base be?

I'm very partial to Valladolid. It is about an hour from Tulum and the road seems to be better all the time. If you base in Valladolid, you can visit the cenotes at Dzitnup which are rustic and awesome. You could do a day trip to Chichen Itza and hit Ik Kil, or even Dzitnup on the way back. You could go north to Ek Balam and stop in Temezon for some smoked pork or smoked longaniza which Temezon is known for. You could go further north all the way to Ria Lagartos and take a flamingo tour. We did that in July and although there weren't that many flamingoes at that time of year, we saw a flock of maybe 30. We also saw a horseshoe crab that the guide dug out of the silt for us to see. Then he took us through a canopied passage that was magical. We saw lots of birds (cormorantes, ibis, garzas that I can remember). Although I wasn't thrilled with the looks of Ria Lagartos, we had a wonderful tour and then stopped for a cheap shrimp lunch. The mercado municipal is always a fun visit in the morning and Saturday mornings are the best. They have a lovely mercado but only a fraction of the size of the one I visited in Merida.

I am not so familiar with Merida since it is further away. But it is a charming city and from there you could go to Progreso, Dzibilchaltun, Izamal, Uxmal, Labna, Sayil, Xlapak and of course you could hit Ticul (we just passed through but I liked it) or Tekax (where we spent the night). I like Ticul and Tekax probably for the lack of gringo faces. Ticul is known for it's leather crafts.

We spent two nights at the Flycatcher Inn in Sta. Elena. Steve found it online and luckily we were able to get a room since the archeologists using the place had just left. It is nestled between hills near Uxmal. That was a really nice place.

There is so much to do and see but mostly I just enjoy visiting a less touristy location. Since your kids are small and not likely to be thrilled with the archeological sites I mentioned, you might want to go to Ek Balam. It is more woodsy and has fewer visitors. There's some shade and the carvings halfway up the main pyramid will make it worth your time. They are awesome!

UK
Level Contributor
593 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What towns do we visit and what should our base be?

we went to mexico a few years ago when our daughter was 2 (and I was five months pregnant). we did playa for a week. then valladolid for 2 nights ( we went to Ek Balam from there which was nice and quiet and impressive enough for a 2 year old. our daughter enjoyed hanging out in the square in Valladolid with the mexican kids (and us). If you are there on a Sunday night when they do dancing it is lovely. We then went back to Tulum for the last 4 days.

In Feb we are being a bit more ambitous and doing Izamal for 2 nights, Merida for 2 then driving to Akumal for 4 and Playa for 3.

This time the kids will be 7 and 4..

9. Re: What towns do we visit and what should our base be?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2010, 05:17