I am hoping to go to the Yucatan area end of Nov 2010 for 3 weeks, and have lots of questions to ask, hopefully someone wil be able to answer them for me. I chose November as its out of the hurricane season, but warm enough to see the sights, and swim and snorkel.
I am hoping to fly in to Cancun from London, maybe stay a couple days in Cancun, then hire a car and go to Chicken Itza, followed by Merida and Uxmal. Then drive back to either Tulum for the beaches and Mayan temples &/or Akumal for the snorkeling.
I would then either fly home from Belize City, or go back to Cancun and fly home to London.
So if anyone can help me out with the following questions it would be a great help.
1. Are there any mosquitos around in November/early december?
2. Is there any other place in the Yucatan that I have missed out, that would be really good to see, I don't like shopping/massive big built up places, but do like nature/the sea/snorkeling, and places of interest, and a countrys culture.
3. Can I hire a car in Cancun and return it to another place, or does that depend whether the hire company has a place in the town I am going to.
4. What is the best way go from the Tulum or Akumal down to perhaps Caye Caulker (belize), San Pedro(belize) or Belize City and then maybe on to one of the Islands? Is there a train service which goes down the East coast of the Yucatan? and how long would it take, or could I fly down, or would I need to go back to Cancun and fly down?
5. Can you fly from Cozumel down to any of the airports in Belize?
6. Is it worth going down to Belize or should I just go to Cozumel for the snorkeling? I would like to perhaps snorkel off the beaches, as well as making a few trips out to the best part of the reefs. I would love to see some Manta Rays.
Hopefully you dont mind all the questions but I am open to ideas and suggestions about places that I may of missed, and changes which will make my trip easier