We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Yucatan in November 2010 - advice required

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Yucatan in November 2010 - advice required

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to go to the Yucatan area end of Nov 2010 for 3 weeks, and have lots of questions to ask, hopefully someone wil be able to answer them for me. I chose November as its out of the hurricane season, but warm enough to see the sights, and swim and snorkel.

I am hoping to fly in to Cancun from London, maybe stay a couple days in Cancun, then hire a car and go to Chicken Itza, followed by Merida and Uxmal. Then drive back to either Tulum for the beaches and Mayan temples &/or Akumal for the snorkeling.

I am then undecided whether to go to Cozumel for some more snorkeling, or go down to Belize, and one of the cayes for some snorkeling. I don't dive due to ear issues, but love snorkeling.

I would then either fly home from Belize City, or go back to Cancun and fly home to London.

So if anyone can help me out with the following questions it would be a great help.

1. Are there any mosquitos around in November/early december?

2. Is there any other place in the Yucatan that I have missed out, that would be really good to see, I don't like shopping/massive big built up places, but do like nature/the sea/snorkeling, and places of interest, and a countrys culture.

3. Can I hire a car in Cancun and return it to another place, or does that depend whether the hire company has a place in the town I am going to.

4. What is the best way go from the Tulum or Akumal down to perhaps Caye Caulker (belize), San Pedro(belize) or Belize City and then maybe on to one of the Islands? Is there a train service which goes down the East coast of the Yucatan? and how long would it take, or could I fly down, or would I need to go back to Cancun and fly down?

5. Can you fly from Cozumel down to any of the airports in Belize?

6. Is it worth going down to Belize or should I just go to Cozumel for the snorkeling? I would like to perhaps snorkel off the beaches, as well as making a few trips out to the best part of the reefs. I would love to see some Manta Rays.

Hopefully you dont mind all the questions but I am open to ideas and suggestions about places that I may of missed, and changes which will make my trip easier

Dave

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Yucatan in November 2010 - advice required

There is no train on the Yucatan. Belize speaks english so a great cultural experience and not the tourist trap cancun is. Belizeans are the friendliest people i have ever met. The highway runs from Cancun down through Tulum and on to the Belize border and into Belize but you can fly from Cancun to Belize City. Split your trip in Belize between the cayes and the mainland as they are different experiences. There are always mosquitos as it is tropical. Shark ray alley near San Pedro has great snorkeling as does coz, your choice. There is an express water taxi from Chetumal on the Mex border to San Pedro, in fact I think there are 2 of them now.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,039 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Yucatan in November 2010 - advice required

I am not nearly as big a fan of Belize as the previous poster but I do enjoy some time there from time to time.

I would spend little time in Cancun unless you are into miles (or kilometers) of Las Vegas style hotels. I would spend time in Merida. While it is a large city by Yucatan standards, it still has its colonial feel and beautiful old buildings--and the most cultural experiences you will find in the area.

I wouldnt return to Chichen, it is now much too commercial for me. But probably should experience it once. And you can no longer climb any of the ruins there. Two of my favorites are Ek Balam (near Valladolid, another interesting colonial city) and Coba. You can still climb the ruins at these sites.

As for the car rental one place and dropping in another, it can be done but it can also be costly. I know it can easily be done with major companies in places such as Cancun, Merida and Playa del Carmen.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Yucatan in November 2010 - advice required

Thank you both for your replies... I think I will spend two weeks in Yucatan travelling around, and one week in Belize, flying down from Cancun. This means I can hire a car in Cancun and take it back to Cancun, so shouldn't hve an issue. I will give Cozumel a miss this time, unless I find I have some spare time, which is a shame, but the lure of Belize is too strong to miss.

There certainly seems to be a lot of things to see in Yucatan, escpecially with the old mayan temples, so i will do some more reading up, especially on Valladolid, and then finialise what I am going to do, but your posts have ceratinly helped sort me out a bit.

Dave

Valladolid, Mexico
Level Contributor
22 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Yucatan in November 2010 - advice required

I agree with the previous review. Go to Valladolid and spend a night either in Hotel Meson del Marque right on the town main square or a Wonderful B&B called Casa Quetzal. Both are reviewed in tripadvisor.com

you should also go to Casa de Los Venados -- a 400+ year old restored hacienda style house at Calle 400 #204 to see the drop dead beautiful house and 3,000 piece Mexican folk art and contemporary art collection. The owners are a retired Anerican couple and you will enjoy the informal tour. We were soblucky that the owner of Casa quetzal recommended it to us and even called the owners to tell them she was sending us over to see the house armnd art collection. This is a true hidden treasure. You will not be disappointed

Valladolid, Mexico
Level Contributor
22 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Yucatan in November 2010 - advice required

I agree with the previous review. Go to Valladolid and spend a night either in Hotel Meson del Marque right on the town main square or a Wonderful B&B called Casa Quetzal. Both are reviewed in tripadvisor.com

you should also go to Casa de Los Venados -- a 400+ year old restored hacienda style house at Calle 400 #204 to see the drop dead beautiful house and 3,000 piece Mexican folk art and contemporary art collection. The owners are a retired Anerican couple and you will enjoy the informal tour. We were soblucky that the owner of Casa quetzal recommended it to us and even called the owners to tell them she was sending us over to see the house armnd art collection. This is a true hidden treasure. You will not be disappointed

6. Re: Trip to Yucatan in November 2010 - advice required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 05:17