We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palace Resort members beware of unauthorized cc charges!!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Pittsburgh, Cancun
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Palace Resort members beware of unauthorized cc charges!!

Right now I am furious with Palace Resorts!!

A guest from my daughter's" May 2010" wedding at Aventura Spa Palace called me on December 9th saying that Palace Resorts just charged their credit card $80.00. When I told my husband, he said we had just been charged $13.00 from Palace Resorts on our credit card. When we tried to call member services we were put on hold for 1 hour and then got an answering machine and my husband left an angry message. ( We also emailed our financial officer at Palace Resorts, but he has not answered us back yet either). Friday, a woman from member services called back and left her extension # to call her. When we tried to call her back the phone would only ring once and hangup

Last night, we had another "May wedding gues"t call us and say they were just charged $128.00 on their credit card from Palace Resorts.

Today, after being on hold for 20 minutes, I was finally able to get through to the extension # given us and it turned out just to be the general member services #. The woman who answered had no idea what the message was that my husband had left and said no one does. They are just given phone numbers to call back from members who had left messages, but no details. So I tell her everything that is going on and she says, they know about the charges, but they do not know exactly where they are coming from. She went on to say that all members and their guests are being charged for something they had forgotten to charge them for when they were at the Resort (I do not know if this is just ASP or all Palace Resorts and from what months)! I said that is crazy!! We paid our bill in full before we left ASP, as did all of our guests, and now 7 months later you are charging everyone all differant prices, but can not tell us what it is for?! The young couple who were just charged $128.00 maxed their credit card to go to ASP and did absolutely nothing extra that was not included in our membership. She kept saying, well maybe they did something extra or bought something from the shop that was not charged in May. I said, "absolutely not!

I said to her, "Do you think this is right?" and she said "no".

I told her we are afraid someone at Palace Resorts has stolen credit card #'s, but she said no. But then she said again, we do not know where these charges are coming from.

I asked her what do we do now and I told her everyone is disputing the charges on their credit cards. She said,Palace Resorts is telling everyone to make a copy of their credit card statement for the time they traveled to Palace Resorts (for our group that would be May) and then make a copy of your December credit card statement and fax them to accounting at 305 416-6515.

(I do not know how this will help).

This whole thing is just so crazy and I guesssthe rest of our wedding guests will be calling us soon, also.

So anyone who is a member or a members guest who has been to Aventura Spa or any other Palace Resorts this year check your credit card statements now.

One other thing, we had a few guests who did not use our membership and went through Apple. They did not receive any unauthorized charges - funny that Aventura Spa Palace would only "forget" to charge people who vacationed there,that were members or guests of members, for unknown items!!

Sorry this has gotten so long, but I am just so upset and want other members to be made aware. Apparently other members are also calling to complain about the charges.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palace Resort members beware of unauthorized cc charges!!

bump for members

miami
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Palace Resort members beware of unauthorized cc charges!!

Dear Member, we undestand your furstation.

Unfortunetly, Palace Resorts has no control over the period of time that the processing bank has made the charge and we apologize for any inconvenience. Apparently the processing bank has until recenlty charged pending and approved charges from your vacation back in May. We ask that you kindly review your credit card statement for the month pertaining to your travel period to make sure there is no double charge. In the event that you show duplicate charges, please submit a copy of both credit card statements at which time we will claim an immediate reversal to the bank.

Please feel free to contact us with additional questions or comments. We thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Edited: 20 December 2010, 23:19
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palace Resort members beware of unauthorized cc charges!!

It was not the processing banks fault, but Palace Resorts, who is the merchant. The bank processes charges as received. The merchant , Palace Resorts, did not sent these charges to the bank until December 2010 - which was 7 months after our vacation/daughters wedding and 8 months after many other TA members vacation.( Palace Resorts does have controll over when they submit it to the processing bank, it should never be 7 to 8 months after the vacation.) My husband is a Vice President of the bank from the card we used and knows this as a fact. It was not just our card that was charged, but many others cards from all differant banks.

Also, there is no itemized list of things we or others paid for at Palace, on our credit cards, because when you leave Palace you pay your bill in full and if you paid with a credit card it shows up as one lump sum on your credit card statement. There is no way to check it from that.

No one keeps their paid- in- full itemized bill from a vacation 7 to 8 months ago, that you get when you leave a Palace Resort.

It is bad business to do this to your best customers (members), who have spent a fortune with Palace Resorts and who continue to sent you guests. It is very bad PR to just post charges to members and their guests credit cards 7 to 8 months after their vacation , out of the blue, at Christmas time, with no explanations of the charges. Palace Resorts is completely at fault here, not the processing banks.

Edited: 21 December 2010, 14:12
michigan
Level Contributor
412 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palace Resort members beware of unauthorized cc charges!!

reallady

Just wondering if you got all of this taken care of. We also had friends get charges in December for vacation in March. Some turned out to be legit charges and some do not remember ever charging anything to their room. Not sure what to tell them anymore.

Thanks

Sandy

Louisville, Kentucky
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Palace Resort members beware of unauthorized cc charges!!

It is shameful that they took that long to process your card, but the burden is on you to prove that you didn't charge them.

If you can't remember if you made those purchases or not, that says to me that you don't keep receipts. We keep every single receipt both at home and while on vacation. I know it might seem like it's a pain, but in the days of CC fraud and identity theft it's a pretty small effort/habit to get into in order to protect yourself. If you still have your folio from checkout (which you should always get), there should be no dispute about any Palace charges. Any charges while at the property should be itemized. Whether or not they processed it with the bank in a timely manner is irrelevant. Watch your bank statement for charges you know should be coming and reconcile.

Keep in mind that most merchant processing companies do not place a limit on how long a retailer can wait to send charges as long as they have an imprint/scan and signature on file.

No one likes surprises, but if you have your ducks (receipts) in a row, then you should be covered. Otherwise, you can file a legitimate fraud complaint with your CC company.

-- Fellow Palace member

6. Re: Palace Resort members beware of unauthorized cc charges!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 12:15