We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Yucatan; get away from Cancun suggestions?

London
Level Contributor
86 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
3 Days in Yucatan; get away from Cancun suggestions?

My husband is a pilot and has 3 free days after flying into Cancun. I'm planning on going along on his trip.

The crew hotel is in the middle of the strip at Cancun. We holidayed here 13 years ago - a week in Cancun and a week in Playa Del Carmen, and spent a night in Merida - visited Chichen Itza, Xcaret.

We're not big Senor Frog people, so our plan is to hire a car and drive somewhere for a couple of nights.

We're happy to drive a fair distance - we don't mind whether we drive down the coast or across the peninsula - whether we stay on a beach or in somewhere urban....what we're looking for is a lovely escape for a couple of nights - up to about $200 a night max - whether it's a Hacienda, or a beach cabin - a good degree of comfort, but we don't need fancy restaurants or evening activities - my husband's ideal evening is sitting outside in an evening with a cigar and a good tequila. Preferably not TOO many people and as few children as possible. We like walking/sitting in the sun/flora and fauna/good scenery/good beaches/photography/local food...

I was hoping someone would be able to help - I've been thru Frommers/Fodors/Lonely Planet online - but with only 2 nights I need direction!

Many thanks.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in Yucatan; get away from Cancun suggestions?

Check out El Dorado Seaside Suites or Catalonia Royal Tulum.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,616 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in Yucatan; get away from Cancun suggestions?

This is not on the beach but I know people who have raved about this. Looks interesting to me.

mrandmrssmith.com/us/…review

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in Yucatan; get away from Cancun suggestions?

you might look into the old hacienda converted to B&B scene.

thehaciendas.com/thehaciendas/…haciendas.html

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in Yucatan; get away from Cancun suggestions?

You could go stay in the village of Puerto Morelos - lovely beach, fishing village, great restaurants, and friendly folks. It's still quite authentic but it's surrounded by mega resorts. It's fun staying in town. It's one of my favourite r & r Mexican places.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days in Yucatan; get away from Cancun suggestions?

Have you considered Akumal? www.lasvillasakumal.com/english/rate.htm

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
325 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Days in Yucatan; get away from Cancun suggestions?

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2578752-d61371…

Give Villa Dolce Vita a look. We just returned from 9 days and it was not enough. Located a few miles north of Tulum. Its quiet and a great Bed & Breakfast.

If you want more info, just contact me as it is worth the trip. A car will be needed but then you mentioned you will have a car.

Bob

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Days in Yucatan; get away from Cancun suggestions?

Another vote for Akumal, take a look at Hotel Akumal Caribe, right on the beach. Pool, AC, small fridge, coffee maker, 5 gallon bottled water. Fair number of restaurants there and continental breakfast is included. Great snorkeling.

London
Level Contributor
86 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Days in Yucatan; get away from Cancun suggestions?

Thanks very much to every one - I'll take a look at the suggestions. Trying to stay away from big hotels (as that's like the crew hotel) but of course it's last minute availability which is tricky in the smaller ones.

I appreciate the responses.

9. Re: 3 Days in Yucatan; get away from Cancun suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 14:15