We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Yucatan trip

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Yucatan trip

Could you please comment on the itinerary I made for our Yucatantrip? We will be travelling with two small children so I tried to find a balance between seeing things and relaxing on the beach / by the pool.

I googled the travelingtime between each location (we plan to rent a car) but I'm not sure if all of them are correct.

2 Amsterdam - Puerto Morelos

3 Puerto Morelos

4 Puerto Morelos

5 Puerto Morelos to Ek Balam (2 hrs) to hotel near Chichen Itza (2 hrs)

6 Chichen Itza

7 Chichen Itza

8 Chichen Itza to Xpuijl 5 hrs

9 Xpuijl

10 Xpuijl to Calakmul ruins (2 hrs)

check in hotel Puerta Calakmul on our way back 1 hr

11 Hotel Puerta Calakmal

12 Puerta Calakmul to Laguna Bacalar 3 hrs

13 Laguna Bacalar

14 Laguna Bacalar

15 Laguna Bacalar naar Mahahual 1,5 hrs

16 Mahahual

17 Mahahual

18 Mahahual

19 Mahahual to Akumal 3.15 hrs

20 Akumal

21 Akumal

22 Akumal

23 Akumal naar airport 1 hr

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Yucatan trip

It's by far one of the most unusual itineraries I've ever seen, and that's not a bad thing.

You are covering a lot of ground with your itinerary, so be prepared to double your travel time. For example, Chichén to Xpujil is five hours if all goes well, but this being Mexico, there's a good chance that would not happen. Hope you make it in five hours, but take necessary precautions in case it is closer to 10.

Otherwise, it appears you know what you want to see and know how much travel your family will tolerate. Have a great trip.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,859 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Yucatan trip

How small are your children? Have not been to Calakmul yet but read just the walk from the parking lot to the ruins entrance is one mile, plus all the walking when you get inside. Otherwise sounds like a nice itinerary, just got back from Akumal last night.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 15:50
Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Yucatan trip

having done several extended Yucatan trips I would go PM akumal mahahual bacalar xpujil then head for chichen maybe via Campeche or valladolid

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Yucatan trip

The children will be one and three years old. I don't know yet about the youngest (he's only a few months now) but the oldest is an easy (and happy) traveller.

We are not sure about Calakmul, not because of the walking (we will carry them on our back, have done that before in hot weather and it's okay) but because of the long drive. Especially if there really is a risk that it will take us 10 hours. It seems like such a not to miss site and I don't think we will be in Mexico or even central America again any time soon afther tis holiday..

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Yucatan trip

Thanks for your advice, could you maybe explain why you would do it that way?

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Yucatan trip

If your children are that small, I would have a few concerns, among them:

--There are no hospitals in many of the places you are going, and some places not even a clinic. Healthcare is okay in Mexico, even exceptional, but only in the large cities.

--Youngsters tend to stay close to the ground. Strollers, for example, won't really work in a lot of the places. On the ground are ants, scorpions, and other insects and animals that pose a risk to children. You can't even count upon your hotel room to be safe in many places.

--The environment--the heat, humidity, local pollens--have unpredictable effects on people who are not from the region. Not sure how much time you've spent in the tropics, but some people find the transition quite difficult. What happens if you, your spouse, or your children are one of them?

Based on that, me, I would skip Calakmul and replace it with Merida. But if you have your heart set on seeing it and driving along that road between Calakmul and Chetumal, I would recommend changing your route and itinerary as follows:

Start in Puerto Morelos

Visit Chichen and environs

Return to the coast for a couple of days (Akumal, perhaps), in case someone in the family has a problem with the heat or environment.

Drive toward Chetumal and stay at one of the places you have near there.

Drive to Calakmul from there.

Come back to Chetumal along the same route.

Finish in Akumal or back at Puerto Morelos.

Have a great trip!

7. Re: Itinerary Yucatan trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 05:17