We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

expired fmm card

London
13 posts
Save Topic
expired fmm card

Hola from playa del Carmen, uk male here having a lovely time. Now this has probably been done to death but I`m very confused with the available info I have seen. On arrival at Mexico city airport, I was given 90 days despite my trip lasting about 114 days till the return flight. I did point it out but was sort of waved away. Now I have discovered I`m over the 90 days by about 5,this is where I`m confused about what to do. Would the immigration office grant me a renewal despite the expiry ? Or should I expect a fine at the airport or should I go down the lost it route, I really haven`t a scooby doo what to do!

Cheers, Phil

London
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: expired fmm card

hmmm on closer scrutiny it looks like the little square box that has canje written alongside it has been marked at then a circle with 90 in it written over it,I have learnt this means exchange, so that has made things a bit more muddled

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: expired fmm card

Visit the nearest INM office and ask. It is here:

Delegación local en Playa del Carmen

Tel: 01 (984) 873 1884 Ave. 10 Sur Lote 1, Plaza Antigua Local 1A P.A. Playa del Carmen 09:00 a 13:00 Hrs.

Edited: 14 March 2013, 08:15
Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: expired fmm card

Bus from playa to belize and all sorted

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: expired fmm card

Why go to Belize?? You get charged 295 pesos by Mexican immigration at the border (or more if your FMM has expired) and you'll have to buy another FMM when you return (and pay 35 USD Belize departure tax!).

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,056 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: expired fmm card

Agree with Steve. A trip to Belize will accomplish nothing.

London
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: expired fmm card

thanks for the feedback lads,looks like the office rather than a trip to Belize

London
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: expired fmm card

just to update anyone interested in what happened at the IMG office,the bloke looked at my card and changed the 90 to 180 by biro pen haha! I went `erm,will that be ok ,I could be accused of doing that` so he wrote a little img next to it,sorted!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,214 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: expired fmm card

The Power of the Pen!...Good Job amigo...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: expired fmm card

Rare that Immigration even looks at your departure FM..Hand it in at check in to the airline counter, they will staple to your boarding pass. No one at immigration actually looks...

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: expired fmm card

Just for the record - the immigration officers are instructed to write 180 days on your FMM when you arrive (a relatively new regulation). If someone wrote 90 they were just having a bad day or being absent-minded. That is why it was so easy to get changed - it was an immigration error in the first place.