We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another resort in RM

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
783 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
another resort in RM

Getting ready to book July trip to Barcelo palace. We love it BUT this time 2 other family's are trying mexico for first time on MY recommendation. Barcelo has awesome beach and snorkelling hands down, but am I missing our on the "perfect" place cause I am afraid of change? So what's your favorite resort and why? I like south of playa del Carmen.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another resort in RM

What are some of your "must haves" at a resort and whats your budget? Is it families with kids and what ages are they?

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: another resort in RM

Mostly older teens. And a 12 year old. Good beach. Calm water. And snorkeling from beach. Nice gardens. Clean. Lively. Long Beach. I'm easy lol.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,799 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: another resort in RM

Snorkelling from beach = Barcelo Maya, Grand Palladium or Akumal Beach Resort.

I won't stay at the Barcelo Maya since they built a dolphin enclosure (I realise not everyone feels the same way as me but toss it out there in case the OP does). Akumal Beach Resort is often described as a three-star resort on a five star beach; I think this resort would fall well short of the Barcelo Maya Palace experience that the OP is seeking.

Which leaves the Grand Palladium as being the only viable option to the Barcelo Maya (at least, IMHO). The Iberostars at Playa Paraiso are worth a look but they don't have good on-site snorkelling.

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: another resort in RM

Actually one of my reasons for searching new resorts. Didn't want to encourage any venomous replies. I am upset by the dolphin pool but I dont want to use Trip Advisor for that. So off to check on the two resorts you mentioned. I hope I find something. Thanks.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: another resort in RM

The Palladium is a great resort -- its actually 5 resorts in one - so it's huge! But I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it -- it's really a nice place. You don't HAVE to do a lot of walking, unless you want to see everything. My DH had to go to the salt water pool every day (I had to admit, it was a great way to start the day) and our room was far from the salt water pool. It's the one vacation I never gained weight, LOL. And I ate and drank plenty!

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: another resort in RM

I dont mind walking. Barcelo very much like that. Food OK a Palladium? You would go back? Food at BARCELO always pretty, but bland. Same with drinks. Maybe my buds shut down in the heat lol. And I love ocean so can't be rough waves.

7. Re: another resort in RM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:19