We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New drop off/pick up arrangements at airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
New drop off/pick up arrangements at airport

Information received from Stansted airport customer relations that will be of interest.:

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the closure of the terminal forecourt for private vehicle set down.

I can confirm that we have announced new arrangements for set down and pick up which will come into effect in November. These support the airport’s strategy to reduce the number of passengers being dropped off by private car, known as ‘kiss and fly traffic’, tackle the issue of fly-parking on local roads and introduce a new free pick up facility.

Stansted is proud to be the leading major airport in the UK for passengers using public transport, currently over 49%, and we hope the recent changes will encourage more passengers to use public transport to get to and from the airport.

With the introduction of a free option, drivers now have the choice of using either the new Express Set Down area, with a minimum charge of £2 up to 10 minutes, or the dedicated zone in the Mid Stay Car Park, which is free for the first 30 minutes.

We have also introduced substantial discounts of 75% off published tariffs for those living close to the airport and would highlight that revenue raised through our car parks is invested back into the airport.

We trust this explanation of the changes is helpful

I understand ,from the police,that there will be a £50 fine for using terminal rd as a drop off/pick up point once the new arrangements start, though I was also told that the rd will have a barrier across it,so you won't be able to drive along there anyway.

BWSW

139 replies to this topic
London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: New drop off/pick up arrangements at airport

This is a blatantly obvious that is just another way to squeeze money out of the public?

This is nothing short of Ryan Air tactics and is totally unhelpful to people using the airport and introduces yet another level of stress and cost.

Why should I have to pay to meet somebody from the airport, charging for this is nothing short of extortion. Especially when flights are delayed or there are delays at border control and people are kept waiting through no fault of their own.

The free option using the mid stay car park which is located a bus ride away adds another 20 mins to ones arrival time. I think this policy is really scandalous, how they get away with it i don't know?

D K
Milton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: New drop off/pick up arrangements at airport

I agree with the comment above. I had recently experienced the new drop off/pick up arrangement at Stansted and believe me it is not pleasant. I was there only 4 minutes but was very stressed trying not to exceed the 10-15 minutes which could be easily done if the flight was delayed. Unfortunately, I cannot use public transport because of where I live so what Stansted has done, is way out of order. I will be avoiding using Stansted in any of my future trips!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New drop off/pick up arrangements at airport

Now that Easy Jet have introduced allocated seating I will certainly use them, from Southend ,whenever possible in future.

Ryan Air can keep Stansted until they follow suit.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New drop off/pick up arrangements at airport

actually went to stansted this morning, you can have an hour free in mid stay car parks to drop off or pick up passengers, or £1 for two hours. I think this is reasonable.

We were later than anticipated so I used the 10 min for £2 drop off at the terminal. I didnt have a problem with this.

Going back on Saturday, I will park at the services until hubby texts to say he has arrived then nip over and get him.

Braintree, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New drop off/pick up arrangements at airport

come on stansted lets be truthfull about the new arrangements it is all about making money ? nothing more nothing less.

clacton-on-sea
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New drop off/pick up arrangements at airport

Yet another charge, but it's not just that, it's the inconvenience of it all especially when i take and pick up my disabled friend who is not mobile at all. They live in Spain, and travel very frequently into Stansted. I have to dismantle his electric wheel chair and load it in the car, which, after helping him into the vehicle, gives me a minute or so to get out of the express car park before a £50 fine kicks in. £3 for UP TO 15 mins or £2 for UP TO 10 Mins. £50 for over 15 mins. Quite scandalous. We shall be using Southend and Norwich from now on.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New drop off/pick up arrangements at airport

Were you displaying a blue badge? If so you may be able to contest the fine and they should give allowance for you as you were officially loading a disabled person into the car.

clacton-on-sea
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New drop off/pick up arrangements at airport

Unfortunately Blue badges are not applicable. I've cut and pasted from their web-site, and appears thus; Disabled parking

For security reasons the Blue Badge scheme does not operate on the Stansted Airport road system. Unattended vehicles will be towed away by the police and a fine must be paid in order to retrieve such vehicles. Traffic wardens also patrol all areas.

So pathetic isn't it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New drop off/pick up arrangements at airport

seems strange that stansted are going out of their way to alienate passengers at a time when gatwick are adopting an agressive marketing strategy, Ill use gatwick from now on as there are to many ad hoc charge being applied at stansted,

barking
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New drop off/pick up arrangements at airport

Why has Stanstead made it so difficult to dropoff/pick up passengers? For years I have dropped my family & friends off at the airport very quickly, not holding anyone up or overstaying in the drop off area. I have noticed in recent years some people abuse this facility and it is these people that should be dealt with NOT the general public using the airport. The airport seem to forget without us, the passengers, they will not have a working airport. They are meant to be there for OUR service not make it as difficult as possible to travel. Don't even get me started about Passport control when you return home, we are treated worse than cattle, a trapped audience. My family, friends and I will avoid Stanstead Airport in future as they quite clearly do not care about their customers.

Reply to: New drop off/pick up arrangements at airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stansted Mountfitchet