We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stansted airport overnight?

Which Stansted Mountfitchet hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
stansted airport overnight?

My husband is having dinner in Leicester and then catching a 6.30 flight to Porto the next morning from Stansted. His train from Leicester will arrive at Stansted at midnight and he needs to check in to his flight at 4.30 am. Is it realistic to spend those few hours in the waiting area at the airport (is it open all night? does security let you sleep there?)or is there anywhere nearby he can get a cheap room for four hours!

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: stansted airport overnight?

Every night HUNDREDS of people (try to) sleep at Stansted

See www.sleepinginairports.net

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stansted airport overnight?

I think "hundreds" is an exageration for Stansted. People do sleep there, but there are very few seats land-side, so it would have to be on the floor.

The cheapest hotel on the airport is the Holiday Inn. Slightly cheaper B&B's can be fould in Stansted and Bishops Stortford. However, it would take 30 minutes each way to any hotel (even the on-site one) so he would then only have 3 hours sleep. Hardly worth the expense and trouble of doing it.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: stansted airport overnight?

< I think "hundreds" is an exageration for Stansted >

No it isn't - there's a lot of VERY early morning flights from Stansted, lots of late night arrivals & no cheap accomodation.

And yes they sleep on the floor

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stansted airport overnight?

On another thread we are advised how wonderful cheap flights are

now some truths ar ebeing revealed Gerlis

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stansted airport overnight?

Well whenever I have been at Stansted at 3:30/4:00 in the morning I have neverseen more than half a dozen people trying to sleep there.

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stansted airport overnight?

Glad you are back thought you were in Beauvais

No? .If so hope had good time

My hairdresser used Ryan a lot what awful fligjht times tho to be fair he did get to Sicily for £50 but at 0400 hrs thanks but no thanks upsets my circadian rhythm and the streets are not even aired then Rathe eat pasta for 4 days & £150 on flight

no spell check on my machoine & eyes tired

Gerlis

sawbridgeworth uk
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stansted airport overnight?

Just to confirm yes alot of people do sleep at Stansted overnight and some nights it can reach the hundreds. People find every nook and cranny to put their head down. Its quite amazing to see!

At about 3:30-4am the security and terminal staff wake people up - firstly to make sure they don't miss their flights and also to clear the way for this busy peak period.

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: stansted airport overnight?

Stanstead is THE hub of low cost, unsociable flight hours. It's

usual for people to sleep there, sometimes in their hundreds.

Personally would not use Ryan Air, but that's another story.

" on another thread we are told how wonderful cheap flights are" :

Don't recall they being described as wonderful. In any event, Easy Jet flights from Gatwick at the same time and destination as BA, and at half the price, are a totally different propect to a night flight with Ryan Air.

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stansted airport overnight?

Number 8 am in debt t to you for revealing the truth - bit unhygienic to travel in same clothes as one slept in - was going to try Ryan just to be able to speak from personal experience but then on the other hand one doesn't need to get knocked over by a bus to know it hurts. does one. Thanks .

Als I prefer to patronise companies who look after their staff even if that costs me more

BA has excellent pension schems for staff. [sadly now effected by the stupidity of our Chancellor of Exchequer but that is another story.] I try not to have any business dealings where staff are exploted in case the Almighty g one days says I too must be exploited.

Gerlis

Essex
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: stansted airport overnight?

Get him to walk over to the radisson sas hotel which is a 2 minute undercover walk from the airport, he can have a drink in the wine tower and watch tv, people are allowed in all hours, it also has internet access there to!

Get answers to your questions about Stansted Mountfitchet