We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in Palermo

Decatur, Georgia
3 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental in Palermo

I have read on TA to use certain brokers and avoid certain suppliers of rental cars. Is Think Sicily a safe broker and is Advantage a safe supplier? We plan to fly into Palermo Airport, take the bus to central Palermo where we will spend a couple nights. Is it best to return to the airport to pick up a rental car or can we pick it up in central Palermo?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,993 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental in Palermo

Welcome to Sicily SouthernBoy54!

Avoid driving in Palermo!

It is best to return to the airport to hire the car, especially if heading to Western Sicily.

But depending on your next destination, you might also hire the car in Cefalù, Agrigento....

Think Sicily primarily rents villas, and you could do better than Advantage....

Advantage Rent a Car in Italy (especially Bergamo):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k52960…

Advantage car rental in Catania airport -- ANYONE? :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k5317…

Contact AutoEurope, Kemwell....

Vagabonda

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental in Palermo

Don't drive in Palermo!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,993 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental in Palermo

No matter how many times it's posted not to drive in Palermo, there will be those who will attempt to drive in Palermo!!

Vagabonda

Decatur, Georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental in Palermo

Thank-you, Vagabonda. We promise not to drive in Palermo!

A few more questions-

We will use the broker - Auto Europe to rent a car. Are all the big name suppliers good? Hertz, Avis, Budget, Europcar. What about Interrent? I haven't seen postings. Also, no postings on Budget.

To avoid driving in Palermo, we will arrive at the airport on Wednesday (17th) afternoon, take a bus into Palermo, spend W & Th nights and use Thursday to tour Palermo. On Friday morning, we are planning to take a bus to Monreale, coming back in the afternoon to Palermo where we will catch the bus back to the airport to pick up our rental car,

We plan to drive to Agrigento Friday afternoon and spend the night. Do you have any suggestions for a place to stay - B&B would be fine. We have also looked at some of the Agritourism sites.

We plan to tour around Agrigento on Saturday. Is that a whole day or a half day? We plan to leave Agrigento either Saturday afternoon or Sunday AM to drive to Marsala to visit friends for the rest of our trip.

Our flight leaves the airport at Palermo at 6:45am the next Saturday (27th). I know you have recommended staying in Palermo and catching the bus. Is this possible with a flight this early?

Many thanks!

5. Re: Car Rental in Palermo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 01:17