We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sicily

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
sicily

Me and my wife are planning a week in sicily in end of jan.. we are planning to either fly to Catalina or Palermo and spend three days in Palermo and three days in Taormina , and take day trip to Segesta,Agrigento,Cefalu, mount etna and syracuse, and return back from Catalina or Palermo. We would like to stay in max two places rather than move around everyday to a diff hotel.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Edited: 14 October 2012, 22:17
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,151 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sicily

Welcome to Sicily abby242!

Do you plan to hire a car?

If you plan to hire a car, then base outside Palermo – Avoid driving in Palermo.

Two bases would be acceptable in a week’s time, but you might be overly ambitious with so many day trips.

You could arrive in Palermo and depart from Catania.

If you only expect to spend 3 days in Palermo, you couldn’t see Segesta, Agrigento, Cefalù, and Palermo.

You would then spend the better part of a day traveling between Palermo and Taormina, but 3 days would be fine for seeing Taormina and Etna. Much of Taormina would be closed in January, and expect snow on Etna.

You might instead consider basing in Siracusa.

Vagabonda

woodstock new york
Level Contributor
297 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sicily

Vagabonda, I am taking a trip to Sicily next year. Can it be done in a rewarding way for the following. Flying into Palermo, 3 nights, then drive to Agrigento, 1 night, drive to Syracusa via Noto (lunch) 2 nights, drive drive to Taprmina 2 nights or possibly 3. I have a friend whose family comes from somewhere near Randazzo. Fly from Catania to Florence. What do you think for the 8 or 9 days in Sicily ? Thanks.

Edited: 15 October 2012, 03:13
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sicily

Thanks for the input. Should we stay in palermo only ,and make all the day trips from palermo ?.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,151 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sicily

Prego abby242,

Do you plan to hire a car?

Staying only in Palermo lacks diversity of experience, and if departing from Catania, an Eastern Sicily base is appropriate.

Open-jaws your route with an arrival in Palermo and a departure from Catania to save time doubling back.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,151 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sicily

Hi alanjgreenhalgh,

What month do you plan to arrive?

The open-jaws itinerary will serve you well and save time on a relatively short visit to Sicily.

Where do you plan to hire the car?

There is no left luggage storage in Noto – It’s always a risk to leave luggage unattended in the car. Take a day trip to Noto from Siracusa.

You haven’t allocated sufficient time in Siracusa with essentially one full day – Perhaps steal a day from Taormina.

Piazza Armerina’s Villa Romana del Casale is woefully missing from your itinerary!!

Vagabonda

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,227 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sicily

Don't miss the mosaics! And if in Palermo area what about Monreale?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,151 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: sicily

Hopefully with 3 nights allocated to Palermo, you did intend to visit the Duomo in Monreale Alan!

Vagabonda

Godalming
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sicily

Warning.

I am posting this from the Cefalu - Etna - Taormina coach tour. The guide has been speaking relentlessly now for three hours. She gives a new meaning to the word relentless with her flood of banal unasked for and unwanted geological platitudes, which she provides in a seamless repetitive jumble of English, Italian, French and German. Only nine hours to go before the surreal hell ends. I've asked politely for the volume to be turned down, which was agreed but not actioned. This is the most appalling touristic experience I have ever had.

dorset
Level Contributor
123 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sicily

Oh my word. Is that the Thompson holidays tour?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,151 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: sicily

Which coach tour company RJMS_1977 - Please submit a review!

Vagabonda