We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi fiasco outside harbour

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
3 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi fiasco outside harbour

Taxi Mafia spoilt trip for many of the passengers, with the aggressive behavior of some of the taxi crowd that we're ripping passengers off. The greed of a few prevented this region being visited by many passengers and money being spent at local businesses and tourist sites

5 replies to this topic
Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi fiasco outside harbour

That's quite unfortunate and I am sorry to hear that. It's quite understandable that when you have hundreds of people arriving in the harbour it can be quite chaotic. Arrivals are also rare so the taxi guys see it as an opportunity to get some income bonus...hence greed and the tentatives to overcharge passengers.

Would be curious to know how much they were asking for an excursion....

Due to the language barrier and the lack of professionalism of the taxis, I would highly recommend cruise ship passengers to book their excursions in advance whether you want a private or a group excursion. This can be done through your cruise ship company or a by contacting in advance a local operator.

Please remember that unlike other destinations in the region, tourism is not well developed in Madagascar...we had less than 300 000 visitors during the past year...

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
3 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi fiasco outside harbour

Thanks for the reply, I understand that your tourism industry is not well developed, it is for this very reason your tourism department or city should look at trying to make it appealing for tourists. we were approached by a very nice Taxi driver who had the relevant accreditation to take us on a tour, we agreed on a price only to be told that we could not use him as we had to pay at the gazebo site as it was there Business and every one had to use them. the taxi driver said we would have to pay and extra $20 and pay for a guide $30 to $40

this took us from a reasonable but not Cheap $50 to $100+ and then we were not going to get the driver we spoke to.

one of the biggest problems was how we were treated by those who were so called in charge.

where the greater community of Fort Dauphin could have benefitted had more people been allowed to explore the area, and not been scared of by bad mannered rude individuals,

we had no problem on the language front as the chap we had originally dealt with spoke perfect English and we had a French speaker amongst us, hence the understanding of the profanity and abuse.

Tourism will grow and the community will benefit if tourists are made to feel welcome, not threatened and abused.

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
3 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi fiasco outside harbour

It is often more fun seeing the town with a local, as we have done in Maputo, Bulawayo, Inhaca, WalvisBay, Luderitz, and your own Anakoa

Antananarivo...
Destination Expert
for Madagascar
Level Contributor
286 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi fiasco outside harbour

Thanks for the additional details. I will do my best to fwd this to the regional tourism of Nosy Be.

Fort Dauphin...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi fiasco outside harbour

I am very sorry too to hear that. For Fort-Dauphin (Tolagnaro). Suggest to go to the web site below, you can get there some contact of taxi drivers in this website. So you can book taxi before arrival here then it will be more easier. You can also get more information about fort-dauphin in the same web site : http://www.fortdauphinportal.mg/

Reply to: Taxi fiasco outside harbour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fort Dauphin
Recent Conversations