We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rethymnon to Zaros?

Which Zaros hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Rethymnon to Zaros?

Hi All,

We're going to Rethymnon for 2 weeks in September, but during that fortnight I've booked to stay in Zaros for three nights at Eleonas Cottages. We want a relaxing break in Crete so we're not planning to hire a car.

What would be the best way to get from Rethymnon to Zaros using public transport? I'm wandering if we'd need to take a bus to Heraklio, then another bus to Moires, then...?

Time and cost will come into the decision, but I imagine a direct taxi ride would be expensive.

Does anyone have any local info, please?

Thanks

12 replies to this topic
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rethymnon to Zaros?

It's roundabouts that'll throw me, and left turns - I don't plan on driving after sitting in a taverna for a few hours - the temptation would be too great!

My other half usually does the driving, but he drives a HGV for a living and he really deserves a rest from the wheel. 'Bout time I faced my demons and bit the bullet.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rethymnon to Zaros?

Thanks to those of you that gave me some advice a few months ago. I thought you deserved to know that we made it by bus, and that the timetables published on the KTEL website were accurate.

We went from Rethymnon to Agia Galini (6.20 euros, 80 minutes); Agia Galini to Moires (3 euros, 50 minutes); then Moires to Zaros on the school bus! (2.40 euros, 30 minutes).

As there are no taxis in Zaros village I had to ring Manolis for help. He was great, and came down to collects us, driving us right to our cottage - which was a real blessing because we were right at the top of the hill and dragging luggage up in 32 degrees would have been totally exhausting!

Thanks again,

Jen

Reply to: Rethymnon to Zaros?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zaros
Recent Conversations