We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for hiking options with reputable tour company

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for hiking options with reputable tour company

We (3 women) will be in South Africa Dec-Jan. We are looking for a guided experience in early January and need recommendations for an affordable tour operator.

All suggestions would be great!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for hiking options with reputable tour company

Hi Wanderlust2travlers,

One question, are you looking for a pre-packaged tour which you can do with other people/groups or are you wanting something tailor-made for the 3 of you, and help with the transport logistics etc etc.

There is obviously a big difference between the 2.

Do you have anything specific in mind. South Africa is a very diverse country with lots to see and do depending on your interests, i.e. cultural, wildlife, hiking, historical etc?

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for hiking options with reputable tour company

Hi again,

Sorry my mistake, I didn't read your thread heading properly.

Are you only looking for a hiking trip? or hiking and a few additions like a safari, cape town etc.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for hiking options with reputable tour company

We are most interested in hiking in the Drakensberg. Joining others is an option. A multi-day point to point type of hike is best for us. Rafting, zip lining, visiting/helping out in a village, etc. would be great additions.Thanks for ideas and suggestions!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for hiking options with reputable tour company

Hi again,

Its a pleasure. My experience is much less on the hiking side. I know there are plenty TA's who will be able to advise you on this. Sorry I can't be of more assistance to you.

Good luck.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for hiking options with reputable tour company

Hello and depending on your budget you could stay stay at a hotel where guides are either provided or arranged. I have stayed at several places where those options available. I guess as well it depends on the type of hiking and distances you wish to cover? At KZN Wildlife resorts there are clearly marked trails and map books available. If you need any further information please ask and will make a couple of enquiries.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for hiking options with reputable tour company

Thanks, Mark. If you could share names of some of the places you have stayed, that would be a big help.

Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for hiking options with reputable tour company

Look up Ian Shooter on www.drakensberghiker.co.za. Very experienced guide who can arrange any hikes to suit what you need.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for hiking options with reputable tour company

Thanks!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for hiking options with reputable tour company

Hello and I hope this is not deleted by the powers that be!? You can also read my reviews by googling SafariKZN. Drakensberg Mountain retreat offer to supply idependant guides and this is situated in the northen Berg looking across the valley towards Royal Natal. A little more Central Cathedral Peak Hotel and here guides are employed. Further south is Cleopatra Mountain Farmhouse which is great for self guided walks and site below Highmoor Resrerve. This is also a special place to eat! KZN Wildlife Reserves at Didima & Giants Castle are excellent to. These two resorts have a pub & restaurant on site and there is an option for self catering. Both have maps, well marked trails and a hikers regisrtation book.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for hiking options with reputable tour company

Thanks again!