We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rorkes drift and Drakenberg mountains

london
Level Contributor
96 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Rorkes drift and Drakenberg mountains

I'm hoping to go in early February. Is it really unbearably humid?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rorkes drift and Drakenberg mountains

It is at the coast and in the lower bannana and sugar growing areas to the north. If I can I absolutely avoid Durban in January and February!

However the Drakensberg will be much less humid - although you still might get drenched by a thunderstorm.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rorkes drift and Drakenberg mountains

Hello and we have been going just about every year in February for the last 19 years to KZN (and other times if we have time) and it does get humid. However my wifes parents are in the foothills of the Drakensberg and its rarely humid. I found it much the same in the Battlefields and have been there a few times. It can be hot and you can also get late afternoon storms. This is something to be wary of if hiking. Leave early and return early and always fill out the hiking register. Have you planned your trip yet and are you looking for a Big5 reserve in that area to?

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

london
Level Contributor
96 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rorkes drift and Drakenberg mountains

would you advise against staying in The Oyster Box at Umhlanga rocks in February. It looks so gorgeous but Im somewhat concerned of the overbearing humidity. I can take hot, hot, hot, but humidity can sometimes be trying.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rorkes drift and Drakenberg mountains

I have been looking at a night at the Oyster Box on a friends recommendation and we will be there late Feb early March. There can be a sea breeze and its not always heavy humidity. The weather I guess is unpredictable, like here in the UK, and although you need to consider it I wouldn't plan your trip around it. Are you spending your whole trip in KZN?

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

london
Level Contributor
96 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rorkes drift and Drakenberg mountains

WE are spending the whole trip in KZN finishing at either the Oyster Box or Lalaria in Ballito. The main reason we are coming to KZN is to visit the battlefields.

Not sure whether you are saying do stay by the sea or don't!

Jacqui

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rorkes drift and Drakenberg mountains

Hi Jacqui

Thanks and yes I am saying do stay by bthe sea. Great way to finish your trip.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

7. Re: Rorkes drift and Drakenberg mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 05:17