We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drakensberg and Sani Pass

Ljubljana, Slovenia
13 posts
Save Topic
Drakensberg and Sani Pass

I'm going to Johannesburg in mid February and I plan to drive to Drakensberg, continuing to Durban.

Day 1: stay in JNB

Day 2:

Option A: JNB - Clarens - Golden Gate - Oliviershoek Pass - Royal Natal NP (450 km, 8 hrs)

Option B: JNB - Clarens - Golden Gate - Oliviershoek Pass - Giants Castle (570 km, 10 hrs)

Option C: JNB - Harrismith - Oliviershoek Pass - Giants Castle (470 km, 8 hrs)

> Are all these options realistic? We are only planning to do scenic drive thru these areas, no major hikes. Which option would you recommend most, and why?

> Is there a rock art cave located on our route in the area accessible by car? Which one? Is it worth the visit? How much time should I add for visiting one of the

Is our plan realistic, especially as it relates to distance and time traveled per day plus having time for desired activities?

Day 3: (will depend on option chose for day 2)

Option A: Royal Natal NP - Zulu Experience - Underberg (30 0 km, 5 hrs)

Option B: Giants Castle - via Sani Rd - Underberg (130 km, 4 hrs)

Option C: Giants Castle - Zulu Experience - Underberg (265 km, 5 hrs)

> Are all these options realistic (also considering the option recommended for Day 2)? Which option would you recommend most, and why?

> Is Zulu Mpophomeni Tourism Experience south of Howick worth visiting? How much time should we reserve for the visit? Are visits available throughout the day? Will we have enough time

to make the visit considering the time needed for driving the distance that day?

Day 4: Sani Pass4x4 tour then drive to Durban

> Are tours available throughout the day? Which tour operator has the best program for normal price and is reliable?

> Any recommendation for accommodation near Sani Pass tour base? Nothing fancy - just clean and affordable to sleep over the night before the tour to Sani Pass?

Thanks.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drakensberg and Sani Pass

Hello and having read what you are looking at yes, all look viable. I am not that familiar the Free State option but know KZN and the Berg area quite well. My in-laws live in the foothills 50kms from Giants Castle. It all comes down to what you want to do & see? There is a good rock art centre (museum) at Didima Camp. There is no accessible rock art but its very informative. Its a great base to stop at to. Next door is the resort hotel Cathedral Peak which is great. Giants Castle has some rock art but I have not visited this for a few years. I am aiming to check this out again in early March. There is also rock art at Kamberg but I think this involves a long walk. I am not sure on the places at Underberg or Howick. I am going to try and get to Mandelas capture site which is in Howick. There is a Freedom Route you can check out. Regarding Sani Pass there are quite a few tour operators that offer trips and I am sure someone will offer a recommendation.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drakensberg and Sani Pass

Re Sani Pass accommodation look at accommodation in and around Himeville. We stayed at Moorcroft Manor Country House just outside Himeville on the Sani road. This is an upmarket lodge. However, there are B & Bs nearby and further along on the Sani Pass Rd, there are a few lodges and hotel. For some ideas See wheretostay.co.za/kzn/…himeville.php

www.hostelz.com/hostel/27555-Sani-Lodge

For some reviews of Sani Pass tours and companies offering See tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g312609…

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drakensberg and Sani Pass

For rock painting we twice used Franz Prinz, a very experienced guide. We were near Rosetta. We would get out of the car and follow him through the thick brush to find some treasures. Do be sure to respect the importance of these paintings. We heard some awful stories.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drakensberg and Sani Pass

I'd go along with Nooee's suggestion to look at Himeville as a base for your Sani Pass excursion. Its about 25 kms away and is a very pretty little town . Just be aware that some of these areas can get very misty, foggy and rainy with poor visibility. It is unpredictable as we discovered, beautiful and sunny then 10 kms down the road it turns into pea soup making driving quite a hazard.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drakensberg and Sani Pass

Thanks. How much time did you need for seeing the rock art and walking to/from the cave with the guide?

6. Re: Drakensberg and Sani Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 05:17