We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in August

england
Level Contributor
82 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in August

Please would somebody help me? I am in Jo'Berg at the end of July and then off to Cathedral Peak.

What sort of weather can I expect and what should I be expected to wear? Also what month in England would the weather be comparable to. Kind regards.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in August

End of July can be very unpredictable. We usually visit the UK school hols. We have seen it all including snow blocking the main road to Jo'burg over Van Reenens Pass and ice led to the cancellation of our hiking on a previous trip. However, we dress in layers and have usually shed most of them to enjoy tshirt and shorts weather more often than not at some point on our trips. Cold evenings lead me to take my hot water bottle! We always have our waterproof jackets and fleeces with us anyway (usually needed when we travel back home in the UK anyway) along with hats (sun and wooly) and gloves (yes seriously) and sunscreen. It is difficult to compare it to any month in the UK IMO. The altitude has a significant effect and there is a large difference between day and night temperatures (0-20C) - we don't really get either here in the UK to the same degree.

england
Level Contributor
82 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in August

Thanks for your useful and prompt reply

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in August

SafariFriend has summed it up! I was surprised in July/August a couple of years ago to how cold it felt at night and how mild it was in the day. I wore shorts and short sleeve shirt by day and long trousers and and jumper after the sun went down. It didn't rain when we were there but there was snow on the peaks. Yesterday here reminded me of the berg in winter and I posted pics on a well known social web site! Pure blue sky turned cold and it haled as it got dark. Be prepared I guess for most things but I can assure you that Cathedral Peak will keep you warm and there is no shortage of food!

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

4. Re: Weather in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:17