We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting San rock art in Drakensberg

Holland
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting San rock art in Drakensberg

The end of July we will be driving from Uhmlanga to Winterton. We are considering to visit a site with San rock art on the way up. Is this doable, especially in winter? Which site would be our best choice? How long would the detour take?

We could also visit a site coming from Winterton. Which would be our best choice than? Any idea about driving times if we decide to go for this option?

Thanks in advance for answering!!!!

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
689 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting San rock art in Drakensberg

Not sure about other sites, but we saw some interesting rock art on a short hike out of Giants Castle in the Southern Drakensberg.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting San rock art in Drakensberg

Hello and as above I have found the rock art at Giants Castle by far the most accessible. Its less than an hours walk from the reception to the 'Main Caves'. I was there in March purposely to check out the caves and what was there. The lady who showed me round was good and informative. There are many paintings along with 'mannequin/figures' and plaques. I would allow around 3 1/2 hours to get there from Umhlanga. Winterton is approx an hour away. At Didima there is a San 'museum'. No ancient art but lots of displays and a big screen presentation.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Holland
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting San rock art in Drakensberg

Thanks Mark and SepSep!

4. Re: Visiting San rock art in Drakensberg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2016, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Drakensberg Region