We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting the drakensberg

england
Level Contributor
82 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
visiting the drakensberg

We went to a wedding at Cathedral Peak. We loved it so much that we want to revisit from England.

This time we have a budget and thought we could catch the Greyhound bus to Harrismith stay over and hire a car and stay in Bergville. Does anyone have any thoughts or any help they could give us as we dont want to do the drive from Joberg? Regards p.s we are thinking February next year.

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting the drakensberg

Couldn't you hire a car from the airport and drive there? By the time you've got your luggage and yourselves to where the bus picks up (Park Station I believe) and then got to where you'd collect a car in Harrismith you'd be a good half way there by car from the airport. Except the last part from Harrismith the whole way is by freeway (motorway).

Secondly, Bergville's quite central to what the Drakensberg area has to offer but isn't exactly the prettiest spot to stay; somewhere a bit more into the mountains would be my suggestion.

Will you be hiking into the mountains or driving around to the various area's beauty spots? Would you be staying in B&B?, full board?, hotel?, small guest house?, self catering?

February should be nice and warm but there may be occasional rain (thunderstorms in the mountains can be quite spectacular)

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting the drakensberg

Hello and following on from the above comments, I would consider driving from the airport, and I assume you mean Johannesburg? This way you could avoid the long bus trip and spent outside of the Drakensberg. Otherwise there are flights are Pietermaritzberg but they can be expensive and we have found they don't tie in with our international flights arrival. Another option is fly to Durban and drive up from there. I guess it comes down to what else you are planning to do in KZN? There is a lot in the province!

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

england
Level Contributor
82 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting the drakensberg

yes you are right but my husband is loathed to do a lot of driving as he is 73. We have relatives in Jo'Burg. It is me who is more adventurous. My idea is to go to the Drakensburg then Dundee and ideally come back and take a privat tour to the Kruger. It is so easy to just settle for staying with relatives and then say youve been to S.A if you know what I mean. Regards

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting the drakensberg

My parents-in-law live in the foothills of the Drakensberg not far from Giants Castle so I know how easy it is just to stay with them. I do base myself there and head off for a few days at a time. Why not stay with your relatives on the first night, or two, then take a leisurely drive to the Drakensberg? Its approx 5 1/2 hours so you could set off mid morning and get there mid afternoon. Are you going to Dundee for a reason? A battlefield tour? Have you considered Nambiti Game reserve for the safari in your holiday? Its two hours from Cathedral Peak. Me and my wife have been there several times and love it.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

5. Re: visiting the drakensberg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2016, 18:15