We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Senggigi to Gili T

Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Senggigi to Gili T

Is boat the only transport from Senggigi to Gili T?

How much does it roughly cost there and back for a day and how long is the boat ride?

Can you only book iy at your hotel or are there places in town you can book?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Senggigi to Gili T

Yes boat is the only form of official transport form mainland Lombok to the GIli isles.

There are many ways getting from Lombok to the Gili Islands. From Bangsal harbour by public boat 10,000I Rupiah. For charter boat 185,000+ Rupiah, you can organize through your hotel for times & rates if you wish. There are also many tour organizers throughout Senggigi.

A good one is Mohni:

office number +6281805232385

mohni.dive@facebook.com

http://www.lombok-dive.com/index.php

Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Senggigi to Gili T

Cool, thanks a lot!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Senggigi to Gili T

Did Sengiggi to Gili T yesterday. Sussed out the different ways to do day trip to Gilli T. Either, you can pay 750,000 rph for boat from Sengiggi to Gili T and you have the boat to yourself. Boat takes 2, 3 or 4 people. They will go to all 3 Gili if you want. They will take you wherever you want. Although it all sounded good and I spoke to others who did this and they all said it was great, its an all round 8 hour trip and you would want to enjoy diving/snorkelling. We just wanted to do a day trip to Gili T to see what is was like, no diving or snorkelling and weren't too keen on 8 hours! So other way was to get taxi to Bangsal Harbour and public boat (ferry) across to Gili T. Before we did this I did a lot of research on TA and checked everyone's comments and at first I was thinking this doesn't sound good. Too much hassle, hecklers and people telling you the public boats are not safe. I had my 78 yr old father and 75 yr old mother with me and was concerned about their safety. Then spoke to few people who said it wasn't that bad. We decided we would take the taxi ride and if it didn't look good we wouldn't go and just get a taxi back to Sengiggi and that the drive itself was worth it. However things weren't that bad. Left Sengiggi at 9am got Bluebird taxi to Bangsal harbour. Really nice drive along the coast line to harbour. Taxi ride is around 80,000 rph. The taxi has to stop in a car park as the guys on the road block the taxis from taking you down to the harbour. I had read to get the taxi if you can to take you to the Harbour, but no way would those guys let the taxi get past. So we got out in the car park ready for the onslaught of hecklers. They are mostly hassling you about getting a horse and cart down to the harbour. Do it. Too far to walk! Charge about 10,000 rph per person. Its an experience in itself. Tell horse cart man to take you to ticket booth. Most of them do anyway. You will see a sign that says Ticket Sales in a building. Go through door and to your left there are 2 girls sitting behind a counter. You need to decide which of the 3 Gili you are going to before buying tickets. 10,000 rph to Gili Air, 11,000 rph to Gili N and 13,000 rph to Gili T plus taxes so 15,500 to Gili T per person all up. The tickets are colour coded for which boat you go on. You stand around in the building and the girls make announcements over speakers on when boats are boarding. There are heaps of boats and they are not big boats. You have to embark and disembark in the water so you will get wet up to your knees. Not too hard to get on and off as there is a kind of step at the back of the boat. If my 78 year old dad with 2 artificial hips and 2 artificial ankles can do it, anyone can do it. Not to say he wasn't dubious about first getting on board. This is not a tourist thing. There are locals as well as tourists (mostly backpackers). You stand around and think maybe this isn't a good thing when you watch them load up the boat with heaps of boxes - food and drinks and supplies to take to the islands. They put a whole truck load of supplies on our boat in the middle of the boat so there was no where to put your legs. It was loaded and then the people start loading on. Backpackers just throw their bags on top of all the boxes in the middle of the boat and many including me put my legs over the card board boxes and could not put them anywhere else. Fortunately I found some space for my mum and dad to put their legs down! The ride across is easy. Quite smooth and takes about 40 mins. Get off at Gili T and where you get off is another ticket box to buy your 13,000 rph ticket ride home (no taxes to pay this time). I get why young people go to Gili T. If you are from Perth, it sort of has a Rotto feel to it. No cars, pushbikes and horse and cart only. We jumped on a horse and cart and took a trip around the island. Only took about 15 mins but wouldn't walk around it. Really only one side has all the shops and hotels. That cost 150,000 rph for 3 of us. Bit of rip off but we said to the guy we will pay that much so long as you give your horse a good feed! Found a place that serves local food. 75,000 rph for 3 of us for lunch. Dirt cheap and very tasty! Only thing is beer wasn't cold. There is a great café along main road which has great coffee. Very new, modern looking. Looks to me like an Aussie or European owns it. Stopped at another bar but they ran out of beer!!! Didn't take long and next shipment arrived from the mainland. We left around 2pm, last boat leaves at 4:30 to get back to mainland harbour. Trip back was much better. Room to move, no supplies on board in the middle of the boat. It rained hard on the way back but the ocean wasn't rough. Got back to harbour, bit of hassle trying to get my dad off the boat as it was pouring down and everything was slippery but we managed. Went up to the ticket sales building and all the guys are at you for transport. We just jumped back on horse and cart and told him to take us past the carpark (the one we were dropped off at)about another 50m up on the left hand side where the Bluebird taxis park. They don't park in the carpark where you get dropped off. Got in taxi, cost 90,000 rph to get back to Sengiggi. We were safe. As I said if my dad can do it, anyone can do it.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Senggigi to Gili T

Great trip report Jan, it's always interesting to hear someone elses take on their experience in Lombok. It's also interesting to hear the official public boat rates have increased?

Gili T - 10,000 rupiah, now - 13,000 rupiah

Gili M - 9000 rupiah, now - 11,000 rupiah

Gili A - 8000 rupiah, now - 10,000 rupiah

Can anyone confirm?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,140 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Senggigi to Gili T

Great report - a trip to remember on the local public boat, and I'm glad that there were not too many shenanigans from the touts at Bangsal. It has definitely improved from past years, although it is a frustrating situation with the transport and the long walk or cidomo ride to the harbour itself. But, that is just the way the locals think - everyone to get a share of the available dollar, and makes sense in view of that.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Senggigi to Gili T

Heading over to Lombok from Bali in Feb. Have taken note of the above rates understanding it's only a few bucks to get over to Gilis. Can you do the three islands in one day? We are staying at sengiggi beach resort, do the ferries leave from there or do you have to travel up further to board and if so, how long and how much does that cost if you remember?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,140 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Senggigi to Gili T

#6 the ferries leave from Bangsal, about 45min from Senggigi. Have a read of post 3 above, it answers your questions. If you go by public ferry you may not get to all 3 islands in a day

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Senggigi to Gili T

So this trip from Sengiggi to the Gilli's, I didn't have 78 yr old father and 75 yr old mother, instead had my kids - in their 20's. Decided to go to Gillis a different way this time because we wanted to go snorkelling and go to all 3 islands so yep got one of the wooden boats from Sengiggi (near Sheraton hotel). Last time when I was here they were saying about 750,000 for boat for the day to all the 3 gilli islands. This time it was 600,000. However extra charge for petrol to take you around all the 3 islands of 50,000 so all up 650,000. We agreed on 600,000 before we left but the skipper told me 50,000 for petrol when we arrived at Gilli T which is the first island you pass if you want to go around to all 3 islands. Sneaky!!! Make sure when you get prices to ask up front for all the costs. If you want to hire snorkels, goggles and flippers then extra 25,000 per person. It worked out for 5 of us 775,000 so about AUD$77.50. I'm not complaining cos that works out to about AUD$15 per person. You leave around 9, I would go earlier next time. You have to be back at Sengiggi by 5. Its about an hour to get to Gilli T but once you are at Gilli T, its not far to Gilli M and Gilli Air. Snorkelling to see turtles swimming around is between Gilli M and Gilli Air. The skipper knows where to go and you can tell cos there are about 20 other boats and heaps of people snorkelling there. Get the skipper to go to where the ocean drops off the bank (thats where we saw the turtles). We then went over to Gilli Air and snorkelled there. Like swimming in a fish aquarium. Lots of little fish. Again skipper will know where to go. We had lunch on Gilli Air. All 3 islands are pretty much the same, ie bikes, horse and carts and many bars and restaurants. My preference would be Gilli Air, but I am 50. My kids were going to continue their holiday staying on Gilli T - the young peoples place. There seemed to be more people on these 3 islands than what there are in Sengiggi. Beaches are better and it does have a very relaxed island resort feel. Now that Jetstar will no longer be flying direct to Lombok, I will next time get to Gillis by the speedboats that leave from Sanur in Bali. These boats are good speedboats and they are fast. Of course, lot more expensive. I believe around US$50 each way from Bali to Gilli and back, so $100 round trip. They look like real good boats and I would be happy to pay that just for safety as very different going to Gilli from Bali, than from Lombok.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
761 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from Senggigi to Gili T

Nice write up janw

Do you know if you can get a boat from Sanur to gili air?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling from Senggigi to Gili T

We saw the big speed boat from Sanur land at Gilli T. Not sure if that goes to Gilli N and Gilli Air but there are definitely boats that hop between the 3 islands most of the day.