We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay, Relax and Dive anywhere in Bali

california
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Stay, Relax and Dive anywhere in Bali

Hi - i don't know whether to holiday in Bali or Malaysia ??

Looking for a small (not chain) boutique beach resort, beach access from the room which is safe so we can go for walks, great food and wine and good diving nearby.

I'm not mega rich but appreciate you get what you pay for ... can anyone recommend anywhere ?

This is a last minute break so after wrapping up my work in various parts of the US we're heading out in a week or two ... i guess that would make it a busy season ?

Thanks ..

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,886 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay, Relax and Dive anywhere in Bali

Both destinations are well worth a visit. In Malaysia, look at Langkawi, with diving off the island at Pulau Payar Marine Park. There are some resorts with beach access from the room (Mutiara Burau Bay for instance), you tend to pay a premium price for these rooms though. Food in Malaysia is excellent in my opinion, and Langkawi is duty free so you can get decent quality wine at quite a reasonable price.

In Bali, the beach access is probably going to be the main problem for you, although there are some nice dive sites. You could look at Nusa Lembongan, an island just off Bali - Bali Hai Tide Huts will give you what you're looking for, but they're not cheap.

Perhaps a cheaper option would be the Gili Islands, about 1 hours boat ride from Bali. Crystal clear water perfect for diving, and some hotels with beach access depending on which of the islands you're staying on.

Wine in Bali and the Gilis is expensive for the decent stuff, but beer and local spirits are quite cheap.

I appreciate this is quite a broad reply, but I think you need to decide on your destination before we can help you narrow it down.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,376 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay, Relax and Dive anywhere in Bali

I would say Amed fits the bill...it's around two and a half hours north of the airport. It's a lovely area which is quiet, has some great places to stay, very good snorkelling and diving, including a number of wrecks and also close enough to visit some great locations attractions including temples, beautiful rice terraces and much more.

Have a look at ;

http://www.lifebali.com/

There are many other choices with prices that are less.

Urise who is the De for Amed would be the one to contact if you decide it sounds like the place you would like to be. She can give you advice as to the many choices you have as far as accommodation goes and just about everything else when it comes to Amed. You will find her listed amonst the De's for Bali on the top right hand side of these pages...click on her name and it will take you to her home page and that's where you could send her a message if need be.

Enjoy Bali or Malaysia....wherever you decide to take your break.

3. Re: Where to Stay, Relax and Dive anywhere in Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2011, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Lovina Beach
Recent Conversations